Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the site a while back but haven't been around much because for some reason it's not compatible wth my IPAD but I thought I would drop back in and let you guys know about my elk hunt.

I drew the 1 tag a year they give out for the Pushmataha WMA (Kiamichi Mountains) in southeastern OK. The plan was to leave home around 1pm on Sunday for the 3 hour drive and check in with Jack the state biologist in the evening and hunt Monday & Tuesday.

I had kept in touch with him through the summer and he kept telling me this was going to be a rough year because of the drought. The elk were staying down in the river bottoms which Is private property. They also found 7 carcasses that been poached some time in the early summer late spring. Even through all that I was optimistic about my chances at taking a good bull. I mean if we aren't optimistic about it why hunt at all right?

We had been in the WMA for a few minutes and came over a hill my friend Paul says "hey there are cows in that meadow to the right". I started looking and I said hey there is a bull with them. We kept driving and checked in with the biologist. I said hey we just drove past some elk in that meadow down the hill. He said was the bull a shooter? I said I wasn't sure and he said grab you gun and let's walk down there and find out. We headed down and got to within 325 yards of them but they were due west of us and it was about 5:30pm so we were looking directly into the sun. He glassed them and said well I cant really tell but he looks to be at least a 5x5 and looks heavy.

He said how far do you feel comfortable shooting. Now I am by no means long range shooter but I feel pretty good out to 275. He said we will wait back here you slide up there and see what you think. I slowly moved in and closed the distance to about 250 yards but still couldn't get a good view because of the sun. One of the cows noticed me and they started to drift into the timber. The bull turned around walked into some shade and I finally got a decent look at him. By now they had drifted back to about 300 yards and I wasn't convinced he was he bull I wanted for my once in a lifetime Oklahoma public land tag. So with those 2 factors I walked back told them I thought we could do better and I wanted to pass. To his credit the biologist said hey it's your decision so if you are sure let's move off slowly so we don't spook them.

As we were talking on the way back I was really starting to have second thoughts about passing him up. My friend Paul said I really would hate it if you have to end up shooting a cow or eating a tag sandwich. So I turned to give him one last look and they were already gone. Then the doubt & regret start to creep in. I kept telling myself if I wasn't 100% sure of the shot I did the right thing.

We checked a few of the food plots the state has planted and saw one elk way off but couldn't tell if it was a bull or cow and it was getting late so we didn't go after it.

We were heading back to the office and Jack said let's go back around the back side of that meadow and maybe you will get a better look at that 1st bull. We work our way around and as we came up out of a gully there were cows all around us. We start scanning for the bull and find him about 60 yards to the left and I throw the gun up to my shoulder put the cross hairs high on his shoulder, pull the trigger and the 162gr Barnes TSX slams home and he drops, he never took a step.

He was a 7x7 but broke a tine when he fell. His main beams were Left 51" right 52" long and I couldn't get my hand around his bases or main beams between his G1's & G2's or his G2's & G3's.

Anyway I am stoked. I think he is a great bull but what do I know it's my first elk. I really glad I got a second chance at him & now I have some extra time to deer hunt.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
CONGRATS TO YOU!!! You planning on geting a mount done? The broken tine shouldn't be too hard to fix. Do you have any pic's?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Congrads on a dandy bull. Now of course it didn't happen till pictures are posted!!!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Damm! great story for a once in a lifetime hunt! I'm so jelous.

We need to see the pics, so that I can get even more traumatized that I didn't draw that hunt! :'( :'(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CONGRATS TO YOU!!! You planning on geting a mount done? The broken tine shouldn't be too hard to fix. Do you have any pic's?
Yeah, I am having it mounted the tine that broke off was actually just a little kicker about 3" but the taxidermist is fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
You said you had issues with posting some pics. What photo hosting site do you use? We can help walk you through it so you can show off that lifetime trophy.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Wow! I'd say you did get a good one! Did you get a field dressed weight?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
about 680# field dressed. The taxidermist said since I got it to him so early he should be able to get it back to me by Christmas. Then I have to figure out what do do with it, I only have 8' ceiling's .

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Big boy! That looks like a Browning Stainless stalker in the pic. What Cal. were you using?

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
What shoulder mount pose did you go with? The right or left turn bugling sneak pose fits close to the wall and you don't loose as much wall space.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
With 8' ceilings, the head might be about 4' off the ground.
I'm interested in how this is going to happen.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
If I can find a good pic of the pose I was talking about I'll get it posted for you too see.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
BTW, I have some antler wax with a different tint for upper and lower antler coloring that you can have.....
I'm getting off of this 80 hour week crap, and your going to have to come up for a match to get the cat and the antler wax.

;) ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Let me know when as I will be outa town around the 17th till the 24th. I don't wanna go as I'll miss the first part of ML season but I don't have a choice on this one.

Is the cat a green hide?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Frozen whole, so you can practice your skinning skills. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts