Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest boy got drawn for a youth gun hunt at Pushmataha WMA during Halloween weekend. Never hunted that area of the state. Anyone have any information on this area? Plan on going over there a few times to scout and would appreciate any info.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I've only been to that part of the state once to trout fish at the Lower MF.
I have some co-workers that hunt the warehouser land. I asked them, and they said to find oak trees dropping acorns.
Thats all I know. I hope your son has a sucessful hunt. Get em started early:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Eschiti, first of all welcome to the board and congratulations to your son on a wonderful hunt. I have many fond memorys of hunts on the Push WMA...years ago the area was open to the public for bow season and also for muzzle loader season..I took my first deer with a bow and also my first deer with a mz, hunting on push..Now for my disclaimer...My family and I would spend 2 to 3 weeks a year camping and hunting Push but...all this was several years ago...but here is what I remember..at that time there was lots of food plots..lots of acorn trees...with deer trails coming into each plot..there was a road called Pine Tree Circle that actually started at the entrance gate, made a huge circle around the center of the area and would wind up back at the entrance gate..We did nearly all our hunting off of Pine Tree Circle..But no matter where we would hunt there was always good acorn crops with several deer...The camp grounds were primitive but were kept clean..we would go to Cedar lake camp ground which is only a few miles from Push to do all our showering...The town of Clayton was really close to the entrance and had pretty much anything a guy would need..One thing you can be sure of is the dates you will be there the scenery with all the hardwoods with several pine trees scattered among them will be great..Take your camera, you and your son are in for a wonderful hunt...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Eschiti, your question about Push brought back a lot of memorys and I just found a picture of a buck from our last hunt..I had taken a 10 point off of Pine Tree Circle that morning and my brother hunted my stand that evening...This 7 point came by and he took him with his muzzle loader..Probably is one of the largest 7 points I have seen locally...anyway......You can tell the picture has some age as I do (this photo is 36 years old) but you can still see the type of trees and the quality of deer that were there when we would hunt Push..Thanks for stirring my old memory bank...Sasakwa

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sasakwa, glad I could stir up some good memories for you. Thanks for the info and tips. My boy got even more excited about the hunt when he saw the picture of the deer. I will definately let you know how the hunt goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the 4 hour drive to Pushmataha last saturday to do some looking around. Sasakwa, you were right, it is beautiful country and looks like great hunting. My boy is even more excited after taking a look around. I think I'm looking forward to it more than he is.

·
Registered
541 Posts
When the leaves turn and start falling..it gets even better...wonderful place to spend a few fall days...I'm glad you're getting excited........Keep us informed...Sasakwa :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and my son went on his bonus hunt at Pushmataha WMA this past weekend. He got him a nice deer on the first evening of the hunt. The biologist pulled the bucks jaw and aged him at 7 1/2 years old. He's a ten pointer and field dressed at 132 lbs. My son can't wait to put in for that hunt again next year. As you can tell by the picture, he was really proud of himself.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Thats a dandy old buck. Congrats to your boy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wow, congratulations Eschiti to your son and also to you...Looks like Push just created some more memorys..The first deer I ever took myself was at Push and was also a 10 point..just not near as big, but the memorys are still there...Such a wonderful event for you and your son that you will both enjoy forever...Once again..congratulations...Sasakwa

·
Registered
840 Posts
Awesome buck! It beats my largest to date! Congrats!!!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Thats a great buck! He will be ruined trying to get another that size. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I agree with Dennis..great buck & all the best to him on getting another dandy of buck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He is already thinking he should get one at least that size every time he hunt. Sasakwa, Push definitely created some great new memories, and hopefully many more in the future!!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Great buck and glad you two got to make a memory for a life time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts