Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to Hobart tomorrow for a quail hunt with some buddies. I hope we run into some birds and have pictures to show.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Good luck.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Good luck! The quail/pheasant around here are so poor this year, I'm not hunting them.
Hopefully the trapping will help the survival rate of the ground nesters.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah! That's why I'm heading to western OK to hunt them. Apparently they have fairly high numbers out there. I used to hunt quail on my here in Okemah, but numbers have been way down.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we hunted field after field all day, finally seeing our first birds in the last field before sundown. Collective tally- 3 guys, 3 dogs, 5 birds! Not cool. I only assisted in a kill.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Well, at least you got out in the field and got to watch a little dog work.
What breed of dogs were you hunting behind?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
German shorthair pointers. They're funny! The only dogs I've ever hunted with were beagles (except for a pit bull we had that used to run rabbits for us). I've never seen a pointer lock up on point. That was great!!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Yeah, bird dogs on point are pretty impressive to me.
Gunner (my brittany) gets such an intensive look to him when on point.
I can come up to him, and almost pick him up like he is frozen before he will go nuts to get away ;D ;D
This is for me, but a great day in the field is some awesome dog work, and a bonus is taking some birds ;D

I'm thinking at this point in time, he is taking advantage of my love of great dog work....he is snoozing on my side of the bed on MY PILLOW!!
Whats a guy to do???

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you have an excellent hunting buddy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts