Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My yard is going to turn into desert soon if it doesn't rain soon!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I don't know how much we got, but it lasted for a long time, and it was light.
I put down 30+ tons of fertilizer over the last weekend on the wheat field. Perfect rain for it.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Supposed to have scattered T-storms Sunday with rain all day Monday.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I had a soil sample done a month ago. the recomended fertilizer load was 80 lbs per acre of 46-0-0. I wouldn't wait too long to buy some. these high oil prices well drive the price right back up to three years ago when it was $1000 per ton. Its bad enough now at $430 per ton.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Yeah, I didn't fertilize for two years and neither did anybody else. There was millions of tons of that stuff sitting idle in warehouses in bulk. They knew the farmers wouldn't buy it, so they had to peddle it somehow. It went into bags to be sold to home owners. Oil prices fell like a rock, and according to the Farm Report, there were hundreds of ships sitting full of cheap fertilizer that they couldn't unload, until the warehouses got empty. Its not as cheap as it used to be, but with wheat prices over $8 a bushel, it will pay to fertilize.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have 1 pond dry already. I got a wild hair a couple weeks ago and bought a dozer, so I should have it cleaned out and ready for a rain tomorrow night. My wheat field is so far gone that I cant bring myself to buy more fertilizer. Some times I think farming is more of a gamble than VEGAS!!! OH well, maybe next year!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ironically, I wish I knew a few tidbits about farming. With the exception of hunting amd fishing, I have to buy all my food. I'm sick of that crap!! I'll be doing good to get my garden to produce. It didn't do so well last year, thanks to the early drought. I did get a few cherry tomatoes out of it though!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Look at it this way, last fall I spent about $2000 to plant my wheat field. This is the primary winter food source for my cattle and the better the wheat, the less hay I feed. Well, 2 days after I planted I got 4.8 inches of rain, so all my seed, and fertilizer, and several inches of topsoil went down the creek into the pond that I am now cleaning out!! I gambled and lost big! I didnt get enough wheat to feed a pair of jack rabbits for the winter. So I have spent the winter feeding $185 per ton alfalfa at a rapid pace. I am starting out this years calf crop somewhere around $5000 dollars in the hole. If all goes well I hope to break even. Sometimes I wish I didnt know squat about farming!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
My fertilizer bill this year, was $16,000.
Last year was wiped out with hail, a week before harvest.

I'm hoping for a better year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did a bad thing today.i threw some old catfish bait in my burn ditch.the fish crawled out of the pond to it and died

1 - 13 of 13 Posts