Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say that I'm getting ready to go on a hunt with Mason at Chain Ranch, 5th & 6th of June. Mason has been extremly nice in answering question and helping me in prep for this hunt. Just a great big thanks Mason.

Larry

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Good luck on your hunt! Take lots of pics. ;D

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Im ready to go for a White Texas Dall. Last one I need for my Texas Slam. Just waiting on Mason to have a summer special so I can sign up. Whens that going to be Mason????

·
Registered
918 Posts
We are starting on May 15th this year. Larry you will have a blast up here and thanks for the plug. I dont remember you mentioning you were on here but thats awesome these guys are great. Smoke what size are you looking for in your Dall? You can go ahead and reserve dates now if you are wanting to hunt specifically with me the third weekend of the month I will more than likely be in TX restocking for the rams. But you can book any dates that you want from May 15th until Sept 1 for right now.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The ones I have are a good curl and half.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Always wanted me a Mouflon and Aoudad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mason been here for a little over a month. Found your site in the forum. Would love to do more than just the Texas Dall but money dictates one at a time as long as the specials hold out! ;D

Larry

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bull I usually come across a few Mouflons as for the Aoudad well they are a pain in the @$$ to keep in I have a few roaming free range though. One day I will be the first person in Ok to kill a free ranging Aoudad. This is the second yr for the special and I hope to continue it for as long as I am the manager.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I understand Tx has lots of Aoudad that are free ranging. Why are they hard to maintain?

·
Registered
918 Posts
They continually roam the perimeter of the fence and if you have an elevation change they will jump it or try to getting out or hanging themselves. Ours escaped by swimming under the fence in the stock tank it only went down halfway instead of to the bottom. How they figured it out I have no idea but they left. Other than that very hardy animals.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
You got a web site?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I went on an eradication Auodad hunt in South Texas along time back. The new owners didnt want them because they were constantly destroying the fences. They were all pretty small I thought, so I didnt take one. I did however shoot a huge Marino (Rambo) ram. Its been my experience that pound per pound, the rams are the toughest critters around. Ive seen them soak up numerous pistol and rifle bullets and just stand there like you hit em with a bb gun.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I put 2 30-30 rounds from my Contender pistol into mine, and was loading up a 3rd shot when he wobbled and finally went down. He never flinched at the first 2. My Mouflon took 3 hits from my 45 Colt. All in the boiler room. I swear I thought I was missing. My buddy was watching and confirming they were all hits. And these werent those wussy cowboy loads. They were my hot handloads with a Hornay 250gr XTP bullet.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
tough buggers :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Mason,
You got any Marco Polo Sheep? :D ;D J/K

That's the the only Sheep/Ram..I care to go after anymore.

Y'all have a good time with Mason-Great all around guy.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Mason,
We would both have to save up for 20 years with no bills to pay.
Then maybe will flip a coin and see who gets to go. :D

I've heard $200.000.00 or better to go hunt for one. ::) ::) ::)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts