Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying our different red dots lately trying to decide which red dot platform I prefer on an AR rifle, tube type like the Aimpoint or a reflex type like the Eotech. Not real crazy about the Eotech + 3x magnafier as it is a bit bulky. I do like the Aimpoint better for the size and bulk and the 3moa dot is the great. I've tried a BSA reflex with a laser and flash light all on one unit. 3 moa dot and some goodies on the sides that are handy. And I just got a Sightmark reflex site for my Buckmark pistol that I'm liking really well.
What kind do you all prefer and why?

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I've got the bushnell trophy on my Ruger Mark III hunter. I really like it, and some of the other steel challenge shooters have changed to it. I mounted it far forward so the weight would help reduce the muzzle flip. Others have added muzzle brakes, and went with the smaller red dots.
I tried the Bushnell Holo site on an AR. It was great for short range hosing, but at longer ranges, I would lose the target in the dot if it was small. I went back to optics. I think I have two or three red dots floating around. I tried a couple of the $40 ones from Sportsmans Guide, and found they worked ok at low light but in bright daylight, the red dot was almost invisible.
Suprisingly enough, the Browning brand at $50 or so maintains a good red dot in bright sunlight. Also holds its zero. I put it on a .223 upper as a plinker for now. My buddy borrowed it, and had it on his .17 HMR, and really liked it for ranges less than 100 yds.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that's the key to liking a red dot, it's not a 500+ yrd sniper sight. At I'd say 75yrds red dots go down hill fast on performace compared to a regular scope. The Eotech with 3x magnafier didn't really work that well past 75-100yrds. 50yrds and less and a moving target, yeah I'd like a dot better. Think it make a great turkey sight.
I do like trying out the cheap versions of a new sight system to see if I like the whole concept. I'd of hated myself for ploping down $1000+ for the Eotech to find out I didn't like it.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I was ate up wanting an eotech, and read the holosight was the same technology, but not as good at surviving rough handling like one would experience for a duty weapon. Got the holosight, and finally sold it.
Like you said, there is a lot of misconception about the red dots even with the magnifiers at longer ranges.
My preference is to have as little on my rifle as I can get by with, relying on range time, and competitions to make the gun and I one.
I know that may sound a little anal, but I put good triggers on all of my rifles, and have them all set at the same weight of pull, so there is no suprises when going between one to the other. CCW carry guns/CCW truck guns, are all the same model, same trigger pull.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having like triggers is really a good idea. Just one more varible accounted for is nice since the deck is stacked against the hunter anyways. I think in the heavy brush where you might get a 30yrd shot a red dot holograph would be great. Out in the open prairie, not so much. Steel plate shooting, think I'm liking a head up red dot.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Yep! red dot rules the steel Challenge matches.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Trijicon

edited to add the "c"

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I have Holosights on 2 guns. My Ruger SBH .45 Colt and my Stag arms 6.8 AR. On the AR i have the 3x magnifier behind it. I put it on their for my son because I knew there would be no long shots for him starting out. I love the Holosight. They are made in the same factory as the Eotech. Only difference is the Eotech has the protective cage around it. Plus they are way cheaper. If I could afford, one day I want a Trijicon tri power.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've shot the Trijicon scopes before and they are by far the clearest glass my squinty lil eyes have looked thru. Plus I like the really fine cross hairs and lil glow in the dark +. Good scopes but man what a price tag.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird ya spend 7-$800.00 on a gun. What's another 7-$800.00 for the scope.
Good tools= clean kills ;)
I know buddy $$$ is always the issue.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a buddy that thought the same thing, he had a Colt AR with a $800 plus scope and rattled off that the scope should cost at least what the gun does. I out shot his rig with my "el cheapo" Bushmaster AR and $69 CenterPoint scope till he got po'd and left the pond. Called the next day and said the yep maybe the scope doesn't matter as much as the trigger pullin.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
The nut behind the trigger makes a difference too. ;)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The nut behind the trigger makes a difference too. ;)
And most of my triggers have a loose nut!

Did pick up a NcStar reflex red dot at the Shawnee gun show for cheap. Don't think it's as good as the Sightmark site tho.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Come see me and I'll sell ya a sightmark red dot.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I need to come in and see ya at work. Our Air Guard marksmanship team use to shoot at the range there a few years back. I liked shooting there better than H&H because it was close to Del Rancho drive in on my way home.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Come on by. Only restrictions on long gun is 30-30 and under with the exception of 5.56/.223 with frangible ammo (we have a limited supply of it), all pistols with the exception of the .50 hand cannons are fine. No steel core or jacketed ammo. Shotguns are fine but no slugs and only lead shot. We don't allow any class III weapons.
Our range is old and have see first hand the damage some ammo has done to the backstop containment system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts