Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most on here know, I have been half heartedly looking for my wife a left handed rifle in .270. I have been 100% committed to a bolt action but without ordering one they just are hard to find. Retrieverman offered up a couple he found but at the time didn't seem the right "fit" for her.

On OSA, there's a pretty nice Remington 7400 in .270 with synthetic stock at a reasonable price. Cheap scope so not really part of the equation to me. Another guy offered to swap some lightly used wood stocks for the synthetic straight across if I was interested.

Never owned a semi auto hunting rifle but this would allow her and I both to shoot without worrying about the bolt.

Anyone have some insight for this make/model? Good or bad.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
When you get a semi auto hunting rifle from what I’ve experienced with the 742 if a kid ever got to take it shooting for the weekend I would pass on it. I’ve seen several and owned one that was shot like a semi auto AR or AK and it was heck on the rifle. Just my .2

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
I knew a guy who used a semi-auto 30-06. He only had 1 hand (lost the other to a bailer machine) and he could make it sound near full auto. Worked for him and he was good with it.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
I bought a brand new Remington 742 in 1982 to hunt deer with. No internet then, just gun magazines to reference. It was also the year I started reloading for that caliber and others because at the time, I could get into it cheap as a former Camp Perry 1000 yard shooter had retired after many years of shooting the 30-06 in competitions.
He had everything to get started and more. He pretty much gave it to me as I hung out at his shop a lot trying to learn. Still have that press btw and use it to this day.
What I found out after many hundreds of rounds is that the 742 was a dense woodland gun capable of rapid fire as soon as one could get back on the target, but it was far from bolt gun accurate. After many pounds of powder and hundreds of different reloads, a 4" group at 100 yards was the best It would shoot.
But, it was actually designed to be a rifle used at 75 yards or less.
Never owned a 7400, as it came into production after the 742's ceased. I have read they free floated the barrel which greatly increased accuracy. As to actually ever shooting one, I have not.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Savage is making some pretty decent rifles with surprising accuracy. Might be worth looking at.
As much as I like to bag on "Salvage" rifles, their barrels are generally pretty stinking accurate for a factory tube. That 110 Timberline I bought will hold its own regarding accuracy with any factory rifle out there.

Savage actions still deserve the reputation for feeding and ejection woes however.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the input fellas! Much appreciated. Looking at the rifle today. It's priced good enough that if I don't like it then could resell pretty easily. Still open to a bolt action if anyone runs across one.

I've told Jeff but I am needing to keep rifle and scope to around $1000.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts