Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Wrangler TJ (Mostly Stock)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I grew up in the midwest. We met while working at a Navy base in California.
The longer we lived there, the more certain we wanted out.

We looked at a lot of areas in the Western US, and ended up buying ranch land in Eastern Oklahoma. Retired and moved here a couple yrs ago, but I have been too busy building buildings and fences (including the new house) to do much hunting or fishing.

Now I have the time, I want to spend more time on the water, and in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter! Glad you found the place.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter! Glad you found us.
Eastern Ok has great opportunities for hunting and fishing.
What approximately is your general location?
North East or South east Ok?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter! Glad you found us.
Eastern Ok has great opportunities for hunting and fishing.
What approximately is your general location?
North East or South east Ok?
Couple miles east of the Cookson Hills and lake Tenkiller Ferry. I drive thru the area described in "Where the Red Fern Grows" to get to Wal-Mart, and the neighbor kid runs **** dogs.

The country side, and the trapping regs are very different that the Iowa farm I grew up on. I may have to buy some Dog Proof traps to keep peace with the **** dog folks.

Fortunately everyone here hates coyotes and feral hogs, so I'll keep busy.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
We used to go camping at Ten Killer. Love that area of the state. Loved that book as well.
Sounds like your not much of a dog person, at least not the loud barking kind.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Welcome pal! You settled in some beautiful country rich in history! The Cookson hills have more stories to tell than Disney and Warner bros. The history of that area will keep your attention for hours and at times maybe even spook you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We used to go camping at Ten Killer. Love that area of the state. Loved that book as well.
Sounds like your not much of a dog person, at least not the loud barking kind.
I moved here with a flock of Red Sheep and several large Anatolian guardian dogs. Now we have a dozen dogs of our own, and the big ones will protect our livestock from any hunting dog that strays on our pastures.

I have already seen some of the big bad critters living in this area. We had a large black cat trying to sneek on our pastures, and catch a new born lamb. One cat tangled with my big 145 lb male Anatolian, and crawled home bleeding. Spotted it four times over the next two yrs. The cat was about the length of my great pyranese cross (4ft long + 3ft tail) and jet black with no markings.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
I’m rooting for your pups to take out any cat, no matter it’s color. I hate cats!!

Nice sounding dogs y’all got.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Tenkiller is one of my favorite lakes in Ok.
Fished below the dam for trout many, many times.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Reactions: dennishoddy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts