Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
12 quail in the grass, middle of the pic. Wind shifted putting my scent right on the feeder spooking off 4 does. Hopefully it shifts again.

Plant Natural landscape Tree Grassland Landscape

Sky Cloud Natural landscape Afterglow Red sky at morning

·
Registered
87 Posts
My son is hunting out of my blind this year ... my "condominium" as we call it. Yes, 4x8 with four walls, a roof, good sliding windows and a heater. Like Dennis, I've paid my dues. I spent enough time sitting on frozen, icy, tree limbs and 2x4's. No more. Anyway, he texted me this morning that he had shot a doe and watched her run into the timber. Well, he apparently just grazed her, cutting gray guard hair. No sign of any blood, meat, hide, or anything else. Good thing he had a really good idea just where she was standing when he shot, or I never would have even found the hair!

GOOD LUCK, EVERYBODY!!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My youngest daughter and I left the house at 5 this morning and we hunted all day. Froze our butts off this morning but had deer in front of us the entire time. Had 3 spikes and a fork horn out in front of us about 150 yards. I have one of those doe estrus calls in a can. You just turn it over and it makes a horrendous noise I've never heard in the deer woods in my 53 years. I turned that over and those 4 little bucks came running on a string to within 15 feet of our homemade blind. Ella, my daughter, her eyes were about to bug out. She'd never had a deer that close and once the first one got our wind and blew she about jumped out if her boots. She thought that was too cool. Hunted the rest of the morning and until about 4 this afternoon.. Seen lots of deer and 2 bucks that she passed on. This evening before dark we made our way to a brome field and set up in some cedars along the edge. Had a very nice 9 point come out with a doe and after she watched him awhile she decided to pass him also. She said if it had been a 10 she would've shot him. I told her she's gonna be kicking herself in the butt at the end of the season. Proud of her for being so patient and for being able to judge deer at such an early age.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Glad y’all had some action and she got some self control for sure.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wow! Trophy hunter at that age! Impressive!
Not sure about the trophy hunter part but it probably has more to do with how big a deer will her sister shoot. These 2 girls are so competitive with everything they do. Ella shot one a very nice buck this evening right at dark and it jump/kicked real high and ran off into some cedars and Johnson grass. We decided not to go look for it because I didn’t want to push it north into Kansas. The property north of us gets very rough and is loaded with cedars. Gonna try to find it in the morning. She’s gonna have a sleepless night.
We hunted hard all day and saw a total of 31 bucks. That might seem like a high number but we covered about 9,000 acres. I like to take my can am and go to the high spots and glass the draws and bottoms with binoculars and a spotting scope. The deer were on their feet and moving all day. Several bucks trotting cross country seeking and about the same number of bucks either chasing does or locked down with a doe. Majority of the ones locked down were out in prairie behind pond dams or in a little thicket at the end of a draw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Man, hope you recover her deer. Probably be frozen solid when you do. Looking forward to the pics.
It's a strange deer season rut. I'm getting lots of texts about WTF is going on with the bucks. Lots of small bucks pestering the does and zero bigger bucks.
My cell cams have confirmed the big bucks have gone nocturnal tending does.
The high doe to buck ratio probably has caused part of that. The big bucks don't have to cruise so much to find a doe in heat, so we don't see them cruising in the daytime.
Good luck in the morning and hopefully you get to it before the coyotes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Property I was on got a nice 8 pt and a decent 7 pt. We only saw the big boys in the morning, the evening hunts were super slow.

I had bad luck and just saw a fork Buck and a couple does. I passed on the doe this morning and have been regretting it, not sure I’ll get back out with a rifle this year.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Man, hope you recover her deer. Probably be frozen solid when you do. Looking forward to the pics.
It's a strange deer season rut. I'm getting lots of texts about WTF is going on with the bucks. Lots of small bucks pestering the does and zero bigger bucks.
My cell cams have confirmed the big bucks have gone nocturnal tending does.
The high doe to buck ratio probably has caused part of that. The big bucks don't have to cruise so much to find a doe in heat, so we don't see them cruising in the daytime.
Good luck in the morning and hopefully you get to it before the coyotes.
Dennis, we're seeing the same type of activity with the bucks but ours never seem to hit the feeders regardless of time of day. Occasional trail cam pic of a buck cruising through or one on a known scrape area but nothing like you and Retrieverman post. We have a plethora of does. Do you feel possibly our doe/buck ratio is way too high and need to take out some does? That's our thought and plan on 4-6 taken this year.

I was out this weekend and had 10-12 different does pass by Sat morning and only 1 shooter buck that was chasing. 6 does were together and totally surprised no bucks were on them. The other 2 bucks were small and wouldn't be getting in on any of the action.

Might get to sneak back out for the coming weekend if I'm nice to the Mrs and get her greenhouse finished!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hell of an opening weekend. Rut was full blast. Every client scored a nice buck and even had time to take a few does and yotes. There were deer to watch all day every day. Was up late last night skinning and quartering deer. I'm sick to death of the smell of deer. I smell like an old rutted out buck myself. Always excited to see rifle season come but usually more excited to see it go after taking care of everyone's animals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saw 3 does Sat am, too far away, so after the morning hunt, I set up and brushed in a pop-up closer to where they were. Was sitting in the truck afterwards about 2p, and saw a nice 8 pt walking across the neighbor's field about 300 yds away, so decided to go ahead in and sit. About 3p, had a nice doe at 270 yds. She was on a mission, and never stopped, but gave me some time to work up the ballistics if another came along. About 430, two bucks jump the fence onto my lease at the same spot the doe had crossed earlier. Checked them both out in the binos, and one looked decent enough to qualify for a ride home in my truck, and these two were grazing, so I had time to get the gun up and settled in. I watched through the scope for a few more minutes, making sure I had a good, stable rest, then squeezed the trigger, and the lead buck that I was shooting at spun around, tail down, and took off. The other one darted away, tail up. The shot felt good. I had a steady rest on the shooting stix, but still, that feeling of uncertainty crept in. I marked a spot where i thought he was standing on my OnX app, and climbed out of the blind, and headed across the field. Got there and started looking. First, found what I was pretty sure were his tracks, and back-tracked into the field about 10 yds and found a couple drops of blood.....and a piece of lung! Was able to follow just a spec here and there, and then after about 25 yds, more and more. Looked up, and there he was. He'd made it 50 yds and crashed. My first Okie Buck. 7mm mag, 150 gr. Federal soft points.

Plant Wood Terrestrial animal Trunk Twig

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Saw 3 does Sat am, too far away, so after the morning hunt, I set up and brushed in a pop-up closer to where they were. Was sitting in the truck afterwards about 2p, and saw a nice 8 pt walking across the neighbor's field about 300 yds away, so decided to go ahead in and sit. About 3p, had a nice doe at 270 yds. She was on a mission, and never stopped, but gave me some time to work up the ballistics if another came along. About 430, two bucks jump the fence onto my lease at the same spot the doe had crossed earlier. Checked them both out in the binos, and one looked decent enough to qualify for a ride home in my truck, and these two were grazing, so I had time to get the gun up and settled in. I watched through the scope for a few more minutes, making sure I had a good, stable rest, then squeezed the trigger, and the lead buck that I was shooting at spun around, tail down, and took off. The other one darted away, tail up. The shot felt good. I had a steady rest on the shooting stix, but still, that feeling of uncertainty crept in. I marked a spot where i thought he was standing on my OnX app, and climbed out of the blind, and headed across the field. Got there and started looking. First, found what I was pretty sure were his tracks, and back-tracked into the field about 10 yds and found a couple drops of blood.....and a piece of lung! Was able to follow just a spec here and there, and then after about 25 yds, more and more. Looked up, and there he was. He'd made it 50 yds and crashed. My first Okie Buck. 7mm mag, 150 gr. Federal soft points.

View attachment 9562
Dang nice buck and a great story. Congrats!

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Dennis, we're seeing the same type of activity with the bucks but ours never seem to hit the feeders regardless of time of day. Occasional trail cam pic of a buck cruising through or one on a known scrape area but nothing like you and Retrieverman post. We have a plethora of does. Do you feel possibly our doe/buck ratio is way too high and need to take out some does? That's our thought and plan on 4-6 taken this year.

I was out this weekend and had 10-12 different does pass by Sat morning and only 1 shooter buck that was chasing. 6 does were together and totally surprised no bucks were on them. The other 2 bucks were small and wouldn't be getting in on any of the action.

Might get to sneak back out for the coming weekend if I'm nice to the Mrs and get her greenhouse finished!
Definitely sounds like you have a buck to doe ratio issue like we do. Work hard on those does.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
After setting till after the sun came up this morning my 2 daughter's and I walked to where my youngest shot the deer yesterday evening just before dark. I had anticipated a lengthy grid search through head high Johnson grass and cedars but instead we walked right up on her deer. Didn't go 15 yards. She was very happy after a sleepless night.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
After setting till after the sun came up this morning my 2 daughter's and I walked to where my youngest shot the deer yesterday evening just before dark. I had anticipated a lengthy grid search through head high Johnson grass and cedars but instead we walked right up on her deer. Didn't go 15 yards. She was very happy after a sleepless night.

Danged nice buck too! Pass on congrats from me to her for a great shot.

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Congrats all around on a dandy buck.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

Man y’all have some big deer up that way. Nothing at all like what I hunt down here. Body or antlers

21 - 40 of 42 Posts