Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only another month to go before spring bear baiting season starts. Got my bear tag in the mail today and registration for one of my sites as well. I dropped the second site and will select a new second site later in the month.
The big question is will I be able to get into my areas by April 8th due to snow levels. It’s in the upper 40s this week and it’s melting fast around town.
Last year I wasn’t able to get in until the second week of May.
Here’s to hoping I get to punch my first bear tag.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Good luck to ya!!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Very cool! Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I’ve got both sites I wanted. One from last year and a new one for this year directly to the East. I now have a connected 2x1 mile area. Snow drifts still blocking the roads and baiting staters in 5 days. Gonna spend at least 1 of my next 4 days off popping popcorn and making/ mixing my bait recipe.

Springtime in here and life is grand!

Stay tuned for pics and updates......

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Well I’ve got both sites I wanted. One from last year and a new one for this year directly to the East. I now have a connected 2x1 mile area. Snow drifts still blocking the roads and baiting staters in 5 days. Gonna spend at least 1 of my next 4 days off popping popcorn and making/ mixing my bait recipe.

Springtime in here and life is grand!

Stay tuned for pics and updates......
Hope that snow it mostly gone here in a couple months!

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope that snow it mostly gone here in a couple months!
The higher elevations will have patchy snow in the shade well into July. Otherwise no worries around the time you may be here.
With the last 2 days highs Being 70 (usually upper 50’s) and lows above freezing the last week and for the next week, it will melt sooner than later. I know for a fact the state will have the roads, I need, open by months end for the camping season to start in May in the Forrest.
Just south of me the snowy range and Sierra Madre range scenic drives (highly recommended them) are open by the end of May for all the tourists.
Gonna talk to a neighbor about using his 4 wheeler next week to make an attempt to see how far I can really get.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best of luck to you this season.
Thank you. A new year and new season of adventure awaits. I’m just excited to have my boys so eager to help me but also to get some on camera. I’ve longed to get back into the fresh pine and aspen smelling woods as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The season is officially up and running for me. Got 1 of my 2 baits in and set up today. Had a 36 miles round trip ATV ride with at least 10 miles of that through the snow. Was a long but satisfying days. Saw 3 groups of elk, about 90 head in all. 2 sets of bear tracks that were at least a week old. The mule deer and antelope are slowing moving back in. Saw a few groups of them as well. By the looks of tracks in the snow I’m the only one in the area with a bait out right now. Had the youngest boy with me for some added mule muscle to carry stuff in. The state folks were out today plowing the big drifts out of the wayas you can see.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Awesome snow drifts!
We got snow yesterday but it melted as soon as it hit the ground.
Amazing to have it and 27* temps this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had a high of about 37* today. Monday it dropped to 7*. 50’s are coming later this weekend and above freezing at night. Won’t take long for the snow to melt. Those drifts that were being cleared will still here mid July. I really only have 2 big drifts in my way now.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went out yesterday to try and get second site set up and ended up calling in a rescue party. Worst day afield I’ve had. Temps rose faster than I expected and snow literally was melting beneath me.
About 3 miles in on the ATV and several times getting stuck I had to abandon the barrel and gear. It was just too much weight. I just couldn’t go any further but was within my area but still had to stash the stuff and will have to retrieve later on. I walked into my other site, about a 3 mile round trip, but no bear hits yet.
Made it back to ATV made a fire to dry boots and socks out and melt snow for water as I was all out. I was able to get a text to wife telling her of my situation. I’m still 3 miles from the truck and was is bad shape hydration wise and physically warm out. I was also sunburned too boot.
I managed to get the ATV about 1.5 miles back down the mountain but it took me 3 hours to do so and dozens of stuck situations. The snow now was just mush but still 2-3’ deep with a river flowing under it and the ATV was just sinking and I’m sinking knee to thigh deep with every step.
I ended up rolling it over and couldn’t physically get it up out of the rut. My feet are soaked again and hurting. I managed another text to the wife to send me some help and I was done. I made another fire for water and waited. Nearly an hour later I hear my name on the 2-way radio. It was my wife, 2 boys and 4 local guys from the mountain rescue team. 2 of the guys I know well. They tried a snow mobile but it too was getting bogged down and wouldn’t get through the snow. They used the tracked ATV and made the nearly 1.5 ride in with a tow sled. Loaded my chainsaw and other gear in the sled, put on the dry socks and boots, pounded down some water. They hooked up a tow strap and dragged my ATV down the mountain. I rode the sled part of the way lol.
It was nearly dark before we all made it back to the trucks. I’m dog arse tired and haven’t been this sore in years. I learned a valuable lesson this trip and being prepared with stuff to make a fire and boil water if needed came in handy. I owe the guys a couple cases of beer and some bear meat if I get one for come to my aide.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damnit that was a trip from Hell. Glad you made it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you and it was a trip from hell and one I’d soon not go through again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like you need to add a winch and ground anchor to your trail kit. I spend a lot of time off the beaten path by myself where I can't get help and that stuff come in handy.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you need to add a winch and ground anchor to your trail kit. I spend a lot of time off the beaten path by myself where I can't get help and that stuff come in handy.
I’ve heard of those systems but this is my neighbors ATV. I got it up and running for him so he lets me use it. If is was a 4x4 vs 4x2 things would have been different I’m sure.
Lessons learned in this case will prepare me for the “what if’s” next time.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
14,261 Posts
Man, that was a tough trip!
Glad you could call for help.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saw a news article this afternoon where they had to call in a rescue helicopter yesterday not 5 miles east as the crow flys on a standard snowmobiler. Same issue, the snow just went to mush and he couldn’t ride it out and he was several trail miles from his vehicle.
It’s certainly a lessons learned situation. Can be just as bad as falling through the ice. That’s cold water flowing under the snow.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts