Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Glad everything turned out for you and the other guy. That could have turned really sour really fast.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It’s amazing what a week can do. Youngest boy and I went back up today. No snow and was able to drive right to the closed gate. Darn squirrel found my stashed barrel and ate some of my bait. Was a PITA carrying the steel barrel in however. Some knee deep snow in the shadows of the trees. Still no bear sigh to be seen. Was able to scout out some of my new area. We did get close to 2 cow and 2 calf elk. It was nice a nice day afield.

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Very nice pics. Good to hear your back out in the woods.
I was hoping some bear sign would be there.

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Very nice pics. Good to hear your back out in the woods.
I was hoping some bear sign would be there.
Did see a pile of bear scat from last fall near my prime site. I’m shocked we didn’t see a single track in the mud or remaining snow in the shadows. We walked a solid 10 miles today down closed down logging roads and bushwhacking it. Still about 2 weeks away from the bear rut so things will pick up for sure. Im in an and set up earlier than last year so I’m still optimistic. I’m the only one in my general area of the mountains with baits out so that’s also a plus.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Gonna make a bait run tomorrow and wanted to share in the process a bit more. Made up some of my popcorn today. Last season my wife made me the rubbermaid tote corn carnal separator. She saw it in a youtube video and it works great. Now my garage is gonna smell like popcorn, cherries and chocolate for the next week lol. Also helps knowing a local restaurant owner for the used oil.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
That's quite the load of bait you have to get to the location.

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That's quite the load of bait you have to get to the location.
Oh I’ll only haul in one of the big jugs and 2 of the 1 gallon jugs of oil on this trip as I’ve already put out nearly 15 gallons between the last 3 trips. I will have the trash bag of popcorn and the small bag of mixed pastries, breads and such.
I’ll be setting up my second bait site soon so the oils for that one as well. I’ll be scouting for that site if my main wasn’t hit. If hit and hit recently I’ll pop up the blind and sit for a few hours then go scout the new spot.
On a side note, I always keep a gallon set aside for popping popcorn with.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
That's quite the operation you have going there. I'm ready to see some pics of your bear harvest. Oh, by the way, you have some bird poop on your center rear window of your truck!! 😁

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's quite the operation you have going there. I'm ready to see some pics of your bear harvest. Oh, by the way, you have some bird poop on your center rear window of your truck!! 😁
Don’t hate the Hawks.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Was a good day. Bait was finally hit. He even left me claw marks on the camera tree.Will get pics loaded off SD care soon. Made a 3 hour sit on the bait before the tree rats drove me crazy. Not waisting .44 Mag on a tree rat!! Had several run ins with elk today as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Video of the first hit of the year.

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Decent sized bear too. I’d take it in a heartbeat.

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Decent sized bear too. I’d take it in a heartbeat.
I’m gonna make a dawn to dusk sit tomorrow. The bear ruts still a week or so away. They will be moving for sure then.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That is decent size bear. I too would take him in a heart beat.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Well, that's gotta get your blood to pumping!!! I'm rootin' for ya, Bull.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If any of you do the Facebook thing go check out my neighbor. He just got back from Kodiak island where he shot a 10 footer. Keep in mind when you look at his pictures that this guy stands right at 6’7”.
He has taken polar, grizzly, brown, black, some kind of swamp bear from Nepal and 1 other exotic Bear. I went to Kamchatka with him many years ago and been on a few elk hunts with he and his dad great people. He’s got a few musk ox, Tahr and Marco Polo sheep to his credit also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Guy sounds like he has a hunting addiction. That’s good people to be around.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Guy sounds like he has a hunting addiction. That’s good people to be around.
His dad used to raise coonhounds. He quit **** hunting and started chasing and baying mountain lions. He and another gentleman go out west for a month or 2 and tree lions. They collar their dogs, make notes of their hunt and then play rock, paper scissors to see who has to climb the tree with the poking stick to kick the cougar out. If it’s still a fresh cat they might give it an hour or so head start then run it again. Both men are in their late 70’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Look at the size of the paws & claws on that bear!!!

·
Administrator
14,063 Posts
Wow! That’s a heck of a bear.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts