Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE to do a Kodiak bear hunt. My wife was even looking into one for me until I found out about it. Lol saw her posting and asking questions on a bear site I’m on. Not something I can afford to do anytime soon.

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
Bull, no need to have gone all the way to Wyoming to get a bear.
You could have set bait in Norman Ok.

Caution: language

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There are 2 different black bears north and north east of pawhuska. Over 50 confirmed trail cam photos. They aren’t running together and are about 10-15 miles apart. One of them is currently calling a well guarded and protected pasture it’s home. The rancher who owns the pasture has grown quite found of the bear I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
There are 2 different black bears north and north east of pawhuska. Over 50 confirmed trail cam photos. They aren’t running together and are about 10-15 miles apart. One of them is currently calling a well guarded and protected pasture it’s home. The rancher who owns the pasture has grown quite found of the bear I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s awesome. Glad to see them expand their territory.
There was a young male black bear sighted in the Marland area in the late 90’s. One of the guys I used to work with got pics of it in a tree and called the GW. They thought it was following the Arkansas river as it was sighted a couple more times always heading South.

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That’s crazy that it was that far west of the knows and established bear area of eastern OK. That’s a good thing but wow nevertheless.

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Well last night a dream came true for me in more ways than one but also the worst heartache as well. I’ve waited my whole hunting life for the chance to take a bear and with my pistol. I finally had that chance.
A nice chocolate color phase came in from behind me and off to my left only to snort blow, spook and run back off into the trees. I was watching the woods behind me for the chocolate when I turn around and see a blonde color phase already standing at the bait. This was the first time I’d seen this bear this year and I’m sure it’s one I have on camera from last year. I was completely caught off guard by it. I turned on my video camera and it made a chime noise that spooked the blonde a bit. The camera then shut off for whatever reason so I wasn’t able to film it. My game cam did get video of the blonde at the bait. It stopped filming seconds before the shot...go figure right.
The bear seemed very edgy and I just knew it too was gonna run off so I readied myself for the shot which, was rock steady and I waited for that broadside shot. I made the 22y shot and the bear spun and ran off and down the hill towards the creek. I waited for the death moan that never came. After 20 min I got out of the blind and went to look for blood and follow the trail. I saw ZERO blood. I spent an hour crawling through the woods looking for the smallest sign of a hit. It got too dark to see in the creek bottom so I packed it up and headed home.
The wife, kids, dog and I loaded up at 6am this morning and headed back up. We spent 5 hours this morning searching and didn’t find any sign whatsoever of blood, hair or a dead bear. I know I crawled every bit of a 1/4 mile on my hands and knees. My boys did as well. We search a solid 1/2 mile from the bait. Every tangled mess of downfalls was checked. We watched the ravins and none were circling or congregating in any one area. Even the wife’s dog didn’t pick up on any scents as he usually does of something dead.
The bait was hit by 2 other bears during the night as well so any bait site sign were gone. I searched every backdrop log and tree for sign of a bullet hole as well. Even digging into the logs and trees to feel for a bullet.
I’m totally beside myself over this. My wife’s trying her best to keep me from just loosing my mind all together. To have a dream come true in more ways than one and have it just vanish into thin air as if it never happened. I’ve missed some deer before and hit others with a non lethal hit. That happens with hunting I know. Those were cut and dry misses or hits that the deer showed back up on camera a few days later just fine. But to know you made a hit and not fined any signs to confirm it.
I called the area GW I know that patrols this area to tell her what happened and that I was going to punch my tag. She told me that since we had found no sign of a hit or a wounded bear that I probably missed, even if I’m sure of my shot. She said it’s my tag and my money but by all legal means I have no definitive proof to a shot bear to claim so my tag is still good.
My wife sides with her as well. I’m torn in two on this one.
I’m about to pull a 12 day stretch at work and the sow quota as of today was 9/10 reported. The season ends once the 10 are reported. The spring season will be over before I can hunt again anyway so my spring season and possibly 2021 season is over for me.
I can only hope and prey that it was a miss, even though my gut says otherwise, and a rare blonde lives to see another day.

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A nice big fella that came in a few nights ago and is hands down the biggest of the year. Not sure what’s up with his limp. SD card was almost full so camera was taking short clips vs the 30 second setting.
My luck the sun lights hitting the camera just right but that’s the blonde just before it all went down.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Man, that’s a tough one. Thanks for the great write up though, I enjoyed it. Best of luck if you manage to sneak in another sit.

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
Sucks that happened, but don't punch your tag. That would deny someone else a chance at their bear since the quota would be met.
I feel your frustration. I think all hunters have been in that position at one time or another.
I hope it shows back up at the feed station in the next few days to help getting over your pain.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I’m sure blonde was a boar and a sow. Just as things were really picking up and I was getting multiple bears everyday now. That’s the way it goes I guess. It’s been a long and stressful 4 days for sure.

Reactions: Kicker

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Stick with it. You'll have one to mount on your wall soon.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
What an exciting hunt but bummer that you didn't get to hold up that bear for pictures. But, you do have a great experience that I'm sure you'll never forget. I agree with the ranger, your wife and the guys here on not punching the tag.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts