Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks it’s that wonderful time of year once again. The time to get ready for the spring bear season.

I picked up my bear tag this morning and also re registered my 2 bait sites again. I’m now set and ready for the work to begin.

I can start baiting as soon at April 8th. Spring archery starts April 15-30 and gun season starts May 1-Jun 15 or until the 10 sow quota is met for my zone, whichever comes first. I don’t plan to start hunting until May 1st anyway.

Time to start collecting baits and getting my stands and gear ready. Only mother nature knows when I’ll be able to get in due to the snow levels and road access.

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beat of luck man. I look forward to reading about how this all goes.
Went and talked to my local contacts again today about my oil supplies and dumper collecting the old breads and sweets. Filled 2-55 gal yard trash bags of cookies, popcorn, chips and candies as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DAMN! With my sweet tooth, I'd get shot the first night of the first hunt. :) Better shoot the fat SOB before he eats all the goodies for the other bears!
I’ve been known to eat a full bag of marshmallows while in the blind lol.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Went and talked to my local contacts again today about my oil supplies and dumper collecting the old breads and sweets. Filled 2-55 gal yard trash bags of cookies, popcorn, chips and candies as well.
Yep...I wouldn't make it. I'd eat a bunch of it, get sick, and then spend half of my sit squatting.

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep...I wouldn't make it. I'd eat a bunch of it, get sick, and then spend half of my sit squatting.
Most I get from beside the dumpster (left for me) and most all is covered in used fry oil when in use. It’s a concoction only a bears, squirrels, chipmunks and ravens love. Expired, opened and not for a normal persons consumption.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck. Don’t fall through the snow again!
I’ve hopefully learned my lesson in that. I do have a water filter system now and have used it so….

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned out the freezer of my winter stock pile. Mixed it all up and now have 2-25lb bags of bait ready. Already secured a deal last week for the old bread from the Walmart vender. Headed to the movie theater here soon to talk to the manager about all the leftover popcorn. Will be hitting up 2 local places I have access to for leftover, damaged/ throw away food products today as well. The things I gotta do on my day off.
Baiting starts 2 weeks from today.

Food Tableware Staple food Recipe Cuisine

Watch Natural material Amber Gas Cuisine

• Haha
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
Quite the stash! Amazing what attracts a bear.

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quite the stash! Amazing what attracts a bear.
They are scavengers and will eat about anything. Got a few tricks I wanna try out this year as well.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You ever have a mishap handling that stuff. Bag break? Tripped with 2 buckets full?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have torn bags and spilled popcorn several times. I use my game cart to load and haul stuff in on. From the end of the road it’s still a trek through the trees on a trail I chain sawed in through blow downs. Sticks and other things tear holes and catch bags a lot. Nevertheless it’s a trail for them to find and follow to the barrel of goodies. I have had a jug of oil spring a leak and I didn’t know it. Left a solid 1/4 mile long oil line down the dirt road. That was 5 gallons wasted.
I can only imagine what I’ll have to chain saw through from this winters blow downs

I did about a 75 mile round trip south of town today and the only person I saw was driving the snow blower/ plow clearing the road. When I turned around I was still a solid 25 miles from my bait area. I’ll check it out next week when I’m off. 60* temps this week and above freezing at night should clear things up.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another week to go and the waits killing me.
Picked about 30 gal of used fry oil. I’ve got over 50 gallons of it in total. Met my bread dealer yesterday and got 103 packages of mixed kinds of bread, beagles, French breads, hotdog and hamburger buns. Outta freezer space now so I gotta get some of this out and in my plastic picnic baskets soon.

Local feed store has 50# bags of whole oats and corn and I’ll get some of that as well and mix it up and try that out.

Food Cuisine Fashion accessory Bin bag Automotive tire

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
Quite the haul there! Now you have to tote it out to the bait stations.

• Wow
Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quite the haul there! Now you have to tote it out to the bait stations.
For sure, but little bits at a time. I don’t expect to get my first hits for at least a week or so. It’s taken up to two weeks in the past for that first hit. Once they start hitting then it’s bait on. Need to save money for the gas as it’s a 100 mile round trip every 4-5 days.

·
Super Moderator
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep us posted!
Oh I’ll have pics and plan to do some filming as well.
Fingers crossed I’ll have a spring bear down as well.

Got the call my beetle euro is done from my bear last fall. Called fish and game to get my tooth data but it’s not been done yet.

·
Administrator
15,611 Posts
For sure, but little bits at a time. I don’t expect to get my first hits for at least a week or so. It’s taken up to two weeks in the past for that first hit. Once they start hitting then it’s bait on. Need to save money for the gas as it’s a 100 mile round trip every 4-5 days.
Yep, gas prices are the big issue right now. It's a 90 mile round trip for me to get to the farms. I'm not going there near as often now and when I do it's to go early and spend a long day getting things done so I don't have to make that trip so often.
Microphone Tie Sleeve Gesture Finger
I love going over there but hate putting $130 fuel into the truck.

Microphone Tie Sleeve Gesture Finger

• Angry
Reactions: Bullbuster
1 - 20 of 188 Posts