Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Sounds like next week might be your lucky week to get some baits in.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Sounds like next week might be your lucky week to get some baits in.
I made a FB post about the snow and how my bear season sucks so far. Had 2 people at work today offer to let me use snow mobiles in exchange for hunting my baits. I’d trust 1 so long as I was along for the hunt but not the other. He’d invite all his friends and tell everyone where they are at. He’s already done that kinda thing to others for deer and elk already. I think I’ll hold off a bit longer and warmer weather. Still have until June 15 or when the 10 sow quota is met.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
I made a FB post about the snow and how my bear season sucks so far. Had 2 people at work today offer to let me use snow mobiles in exchange for hunting my baits. I’d trust 1 so long as I was along for the hunt but not the other. He’d invite all his friends and tell everyone where they are at. He’s already done that kinda thing to others for deer and elk already. I think I’ll hold off a bit longer and warmer weather. Still have until June 15 or when the 10 sow quota is met.
As a land owner I totally understand. Public land hunting has to be even more frustrating.
I have control of hunting on our place which involves me only for the most part.
The neighbors around us have a retired game warden patrol his and our properties twice daily.
The GW and I are on a first name basis and he has my permission to issue trespass tickets.
What some don’t know is that the GW doesn’t have permission to issue a trespass unless they have been given permission to do so by the land owner.
The land owner also has the right to give a warning or go the full monte.
The guys from Prague Ok that trespassed on me two years ago with pics I posted got $750 fines for stealing 4 quail from me.
Poaching is stealing.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
That’s the downfall of public land for sure. I have a select few people around here (the guys who’ve taken me into their elk camps and or give me access to their campers when they aren’t around or borrow an ATV) who know where my baits are actually at. I’ll repay the kindness with access to my sites and thus far 2 of them took bears last year.
I do get random hunters that find them and when they do all sorts of things happen. I’ve got pics and videos of people peeing on my barrels, reaching in and checking the bait out, take pics with the barrel. I love the ones that grab the logs and feel what the shiny stuff is….it’s used oil A-hole now move on.
I get people flipping my cameras off, had trash set on my camera boxes. 2 years ago my 2nd hidden camera caught a poacher. Shot a sow with a cub on my bait. I got compensated $25 for that SD card after the trial. So far no cameras or boxes damaged.
I’m very lucky in that I have several buddies that also have sites around my area. We now have about a 4x3 mile area that’s ours. This area also has the highest concentration of bears in the state. Also have all 4 color phase with chocolate and cinnamon being the norm over solid black. My goal is the color phase slam.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
That’s the downfall of public land for sure. I have a select few people around here (the guys who’ve taken me into their elk camps and or give me access to their campers when they aren’t around or borrow an ATV) who know where my baits are actually at. I’ll repay the kindness with access to my sites and thus far 2 of them took bears last year.
I do get random hunters that find them and when they do all sorts of things happen. I’ve got pics and videos of people peeing on my barrels, reaching in and checking the bait out, take pics with the barrel. I love the ones that grab the logs and feel what the shiny stuff is….it’s used oil A-hole now move on.
I get people flipping my cameras off, had trash set on my camera boxes. 2 years ago my 2nd hidden camera caught a poacher. Shot a sow with a cub on my bait. I got compensated $25 for that SD card after the trial. So far no cameras or boxes damaged.
I’m very lucky in that I have several buddies that also have sites around my area. We now have about a 4x3 mile area that’s ours. This area also has the highest concentration of bears in the state. Also have all 4 color phase with chocolate and cinnamon being the norm over solid black. My goal is the color phase slam.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well if you’re reading this you probably guessed I made another attempt and you’d be right. My boys went with me and we got 1 of 2 baits in and set.
We left about 4am and arrived about 5am. Overcast but fantastic weather. Snow melted fast the past few days. I was able to drive nearly 2 miles further than I could a few days ago. Was also able to get the ATVs further in as well.
Still ended up walking over 3 miles round trip up and down snow drifts. Sinking above are knees at times. Knee high rubber boots do no good when you sink that deep. No bear sign. Did see a fresh set of moose tracks. We saw several other hunters out and looking to set baits or trying to anyway. It’s also the opening day of spring gun season.
Here’s a few pics from today.
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Mountain

Cloud Sky Snow Plant Tree

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Sky Cloud Snow Plant Automotive tire

Sky Cloud Snow Tree Slope

Cloud Sky Plant Snow Natural landscape

Tire Wheel Car Sky Cloud

Reactions: DRC458

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
More pics. The boys had fun “mushing” as well. I’ll admit I
Snow Slope Tree Sky Freezing

Sky Cloud Snow Plant Tree

These soft spots suck and we found lots of them.
Leg Human body Automotive tire Gesture Grey

Jeans Shoe Automotive tire Leg Black

Snow Sky Slope Tree Vehicle

Before and after of the bait site. I finally found these pool water blaster things. My youngest son and I made great use of them squirting used fry oil up into the trees around the area.
Plant community Sky Larch Plant Branch

Natural landscape Larch Plant Wood Tree

Natural environment Natural landscape Larch Plant Vegetation

Plant Plant community Sky People in nature Natural landscape

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
And a few more scenic pics (in no particular order) of the snow melt run off. Some scat full of deer or elk hair. I’m assume a coyote left it.
Water Natural landscape Plant Bedrock Wood

Water resources Leaf Twig Plant Natural landscape

Water Grey Black-and-white Wood Bedrock

Twig Trunk Wood Plant Natural landscape

Sky Natural landscape Tree Bedrock Water

Sky Wood Twig Tree Natural landscape

Organism Plant Wood Tints and shades Art

Mike Miller you may recognize some things in this pic. They wear them all the time.
Clothing Jeans Trousers Tree People in nature

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
From the gate entrance where we left the road to this site it would have been another 4 miles round trip up the road to set the other site up. I’ll get it in soon enough but really need some more snow to melt. I don’t really feel like dragging a sled with 3-5gal buckets of oil soaked breads, 1-5gal jug of oil, 55gal plastic barrel and then my other gear. At least the season is finally underway.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
You and the boys certainly deserve a bear after putting in all that work!

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I’d be blessed with the opportunity at a bear. A blonde one especially.
It’s not about the kill but more so the memories with my kids and what stupid situation I can get myself into and out of in one piece. My oldest graduates in 3 weeks and things will change once again.
Bait is a lot of time and energy but the thrill of that bait hit and seeing them on camera and in person is what tickles my fancy.
I was telling my boys today I need to find a bear den now. That would be better than any big set of sheds I could ever find.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
You are definitely putting in the effort. I really hope it pays off for you thus season.
Thank you. Gas prices caused a couple to think twice about making the trip for bear this year.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
So I had today off and decided I was gonna go put out my other bait. Wouldn’t you know it I wake up to white stuff falling from the sky. I go anyway with happy thoughts. Snowed the entire way and I wasn’t able to make it too far up the road I needed to with the truck and trailer. Forest service had been bull dozing snow off the roads and left a nice berm blocking the road for me. This was new over the past week.
Loaded the ATV and gear in jet sled and headed off. I had to dig about 15’ of 20” deep snow to clear a drift to ride the ATV past. Easier to dig it than drag a heavy sled miles. I finally made it up the road another mile or so to the gate of the bait I got set last week. Hiked the mile or so in on foot with a 5 gal bucket just incase I needed to top it off. Finally got to use my new tracking poles from Christmas. No bear hits but lots of fresh elk tracks and already 8”+ of snow fell over the last week. Had some fresh elk tracks in the area so I swapped SD cards. I’ll have to see what pics I get. I wasn’t dragging bait out so I stuffed the barrel and headed back out.
Had a 1.7 mile ride to the gate at my other area. Had to clear 2 more snow drifts of 18”+ to get the ATV past. Snow was very wet and very heavy. ATV kept bogging down in it, but I made it finally.
I was getting ready to make the long drag in of 150# of bait and gear in the sled when it started snowing really hard and quarter sized flakes. I’d already had at least 3” fall on me today.
I did the safe thing and stashed my barrel, 3-5 gallon buckets of bait, 1-5 gallon jug of fry oil in some thick bushes and made the nearly 3 mile ride back. My tracks were already covered up and I had a hell of a time seeing where to go. Even the spots I’d dug out for a path had blended in with everything else. Cold and wet I finally got the ATV loaded and headed for home.
I’ll go back again soon and get that stuff in and set up. At least no one else has been in the area that I could tell so I’m not worried about my stuff walking away. I do love the snow as it’s so peaceful and quiet but I’m over it for the year!

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Some pics from today.

Sky Cloud Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Sky Tire Plant Snow Automotive tire

Sky Snow Plant Slope Tree

Sky Snow Slope Tree Road surface

Tire Wheel Snow Sky Vehicle

Snow Plant Wood Natural landscape Twig

Sky Plant Ecoregion Snow Natural landscape

Clothing Glasses Snow Outerwear Sky

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Tire Cloud Wheel Car Snow

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Snow Tent Tree Car Automotive lighting

Tire Snow Sky Automotive tire Wheel

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Water

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Looks cold! 97 degrees here today. I’m ready for some snow.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Looks cold! 97 degrees here today. I’m ready for some snow.
It was a very heavy wet snow fall but so was the ground pack. The temp was right at the freezing mark +/- 1-2*.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
61 - 80 of 101 Posts