Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Good exercise I’ll put it that way. It is peaceful and quiet all alone but then knowing no one is around is also nice.
Thats why I love snow. The world turns quiet when it's snowing and on the ground.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I’m gonna try for another run Thursday but need to get alot of stuff moved to the new place today and tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
So I finally read my SD card and I had several elk and a young bull moose on it. I’m tickled to get the moose. Fingers crossed I get a wolf this year on camera.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
So I finally read my SD card and I had several elk and a young bull moose on it. I’m tickled to get the moose. Fingers crossed I get a wolf this year on camera.
Do you get a moose tag?

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
You might be that “this is only my first year putting in for it” a$$ hole everyone loves talking about haha how cool would it be to take a moose wonder how the steaks would taste
It’s good eating. We have to pay upfront the whole price of the tag and then get it refunded if not drawn. A resident moose tag isn’t cheap. I need to download the picks themselves and post. All new growth and it was a scrawny bull as well. Could see his ribs in the photos.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
I’ve never had elk but I’ve never heard anyone say it was anything but amazing so if folks prefer moose that’s saying something
I’ve taken 10 elk in the last 12 years. Wife and I prefer the ground meat over beef. We rarely eat deer anymore.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Ok, so I had to take a break from all this moving and great weather and make a run to the mountains this morning before going back to work tomorrow. What a difference 4 days of nice weather can make. The snow was gone from the roads. The drifted areas I shoved…..gone. The knee deep spots I had to trudge through…..gone. I was shocked. I was able to drive my truck right where I needed to go. 4 days ago I wasn’t able to drive within 1.5 miles of this gate with my truck.
I did have to contend with some deep drifts in the thick timber but I got through it
I was able to FINALLY get my 2nd and primary bait in and set up. No hits to my other bait and nothing but ravens the last 4 days. I did come a cross 2 sets of fresh bear tracks I figure are less than 48 hours old. Saw a few cow / calf elk and some doe mule deer so that’s nice they are moving in again.

A few pics from this morning.
Sleds pull easier on snow….just saying.
Glasses Vision care Goggles Military camouflage Camouflage

A few logs left standing from
Plant Leaf Tree Branch Wood

The final product
Plant Plant community Branch Wood Twig

A few of the bear tracks.
Plant Road surface Bedrock Asphalt Grass

Bedrock Plant Road surface Grass Groundcover

Road surface Asphalt Grass Tar Groundcover

Road surface Asphalt Grey Grass Concrete

Road surface Asphalt Wood Trunk Grass

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Why did you give up on deer?
A 400 pound+ field dressed elk will sustain the wife and I for a year or longer. The Cow I killed two years ago was closer to 500 lbs and we still have a full shelf in the freezer of ground meat.
Basically I kill deer now for those that can't get out or don't hunt anymore because of age, health or whatever reason to be donated to them. Used to stay a lot busier a few years back then now. Killed 16 does in 2008 on a DMAP and donated every one to a family in need. Down to three or four does now per season.
Our RV travels have cut into my hunting times.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Ok, so I had to take a break from all this moving and great weather and make a run to the mountains this morning before going back to work tomorrow. What a difference 4 days of nice weather can make. The snow was gone from the roads. The drifted areas I shoved…..gone. The knee deep spots I had to trudge through…..gone. I was shocked. I was able to drive my truck right where I needed to go. 4 days ago I wasn’t able to drive within 1.5 miles of this gate with my truck.
I did have to contend with some deep drifts in the thick timber but I got through it
I was able to FINALLY get my 2nd and primary bait in and set up. No hits to my other bait and nothing but ravens the last 4 days. I did come a cross 2 sets of fresh bear tracks I figure are less than 48 hours old. Saw a few cow / calf elk and some doe mule deer so that’s nice they are moving in again.

A few pics from this morning.
Sleds pull easier on snow….just saying.
Good to see you could make it easily. I'm certainly no bear expert but those tracks look to be left by a bear that is pretty good size?
I have a sled like yours but bigger. Mine is 6' long and almost 3' wide. There are a lot of deep gouges in the runners from taking out elk over rocks under the snow or traveling like you did with no snow.
I've seriously considered getting some 1" wide teflon strips and bolting them to the bottom of the sled to make sure the bottom doesn't get rubbed out.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Good to see you could make it easily. I'm certainly no bear expert but those tracks look to be left by a bear that is pretty good size?
I have a sled like yours but bigger. Mine is 6' long and almost 3' wide. There are a lot of deep gouges in the runners from taking out elk over rocks under the snow or traveling like you did with no snow.
I've seriously considered getting some 1" wide teflon strips and bolting them to the bottom of the sled to make sure the bottom doesn't get rubbed out.
I have 2 I use for ice fishing. They both have holes I. The bottom now from dragging them without snow or ice.
At first I was thinking a sow and cub as the smaller tracks I saw next to a pond some 50-60 yards away from the bigger set. They were in the same general line of travel as well. But I’m thinking it could be 2 different bear, that would be nice. Either way I’m guessing about #200 is all. I’m no expert either and these are the best tracks I’ve ever found around here. For reference my boot is a size 11.
it felt so good to finally get into that spot. For me this whole baiting thing is about getting out and finding my inner peace of you will. It’s where I can be one with my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
As mentioned, I finally got the SD pics downloaded and saved from last week. Here’s the elk and moose.

Terrestrial plant Wood Larch Trunk Natural landscape

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Trunk Evergreen

Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Twig

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Oldest boy and I hit the baits this morning. I had bears at both baits. A single on one and multiple bears on the other. I’m just glad to finally have them in and activity. All nocturnal activity so far but with the full moon I’m not surprised. The new moon should have them day walking and feeding.
Some pics for y’all.
Plant Tree People in nature Trunk Bag

Plant Wood Branch Natural landscape Tree

Plant community Bedrock Grass Groundcover Plant

Plant community Grass Groundcover Natural material Soil

Plant Branch Twig Flash photography Black-and-white

Dog breed Beard Gesture Carnivore Whiskers

Black Black-and-white Trunk Wood Darkness

Black-and-white Trunk Forest Terrestrial animal Monochrome photography

Black-and-white Tail Trunk Monochrome photography Monochrome

Black Organism Carnivore Adaptation Terrestrial animal

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
That sow in the last pic is a really big bear!

81 - 100 of 101 Posts