·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Trucks all loaded down. Headed to set baits in the morning. Dropping off 70 gallons of oil and 55 gallons of bait at camp. 3 stands to hang tomorrow as well. I’m 3 days behind on setting baits but with the oils I’ve had out all summer they are still around and should get hits right away. Can’t wait to see what the SD cards show. Be adding 2 more cameras as well so I’ll have 5 out.
Light Automotive tire Water Auto part Gas

Blue Light Coin Material property Currency

Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Went out to a glassing point this morning to see what was around. Saw 50+ elk, several mule deer, a bull moose and 6 bears. 3 probably boars and a sow with 2 cinnamon cubs. Gods creations were on full display for us. Heard a few bull bugling as well.
As of this writing my baits haven’t been hit but a buddies bait has.
Tomorrows opening morning and I’m feeling very good about it.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I’m home. The cell tower near camp is under major repairs so hardly had signal to send a text or make a call. Never could get the forum to load. Usually I can post and such from my stand.
Anyway after 2 evenings of processing game it’s in the freezer. I’m glad because I got whatever bug my youngest had and I feel like 100% scat today. Work sucked for sure. This is my update for now. I’ll post more of a story tomorrow after work.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
So here's the story...

Buddies and I went and glassed for elk the morning of 8/31 as it was the day before the archery opener. Saw a few elk but by golly we found the berry patch honey hole. We spotted 7 bear with a 300x300y area. A sow with 2 cubs and then 4 other single bears. They were a good 600y away down in the draw to our west. Saw a good 50+ elk, some mule deer, a yote and a bull moose that morning.
We went back that evening and saw 4 more bears about 1,000 yards off across the creek on the far hillside. A sow with triplets and about 200y above her a single bear.
I have several videos and pics of the mornings bears. That was 11 bears in a single day and more bears than I'd ever seen in my life before. It was a real treat being in the right place at the right time.

Now as far as my baits they became hit and miss with the berries being the top of the menu in the area. Buddy was supposed to come hunt my secondary bait opening morning but couldn't make it. Sucked to be him as I had 4 bears hit that site during daylight. The most I've ever had his a single bait in a day. I was over a mile away on my main site seeing nothing. I was getting mostly dark visits/ hits on my main site. Oldest boy came to camp for 2 days to hang out while off work and sat the opening evening with me plus the following morning. My buddy failed to show the second morning as well while I sat my main site where I saw nothing of course. It had been hit hard that night so I went back to camp and brought back 5 gallons of oil and a 5 gallon bucket of bait. I decided to leave my crossbow up in my stand as I wasn't gonna be gone long and the oil and bait were heavy. Its about 1630 when I walked back into my site and wouldn't you know it! I had a big cinnamon bear on the bait. DAMN my luck!! My crossbows up in my stand which is 16y from the bait and I'm at about 25y. Only thing I could do was shoot video with my cell phone from 22y away as I moved closer. Bear figured something wasn't right and walked away and down into the draw below my site. I heard the bear growl twice but never came back in until after dark. I hunted it again the 3rd morning and saw nothing. Y'all seeing a trend here?,,,
Went back and forth between the main and secondary sites the next few days but both sites went dry for 2 days with no activity. Youngest boy came to camp so we spent 2 evenings and a morning trying to fill his deer tag. He finally settled on a crazy racked dink buck with the crossbow after cleanly missing 5 other deer with his bow. Turned out he'd messed his site up and it was way off. The crossbow got the job done for him. Son went back home, 4 other guys from camp also went home but I stayed for a couple more days alone. Made a couple more sits on my sites with no more bear seen.
Decided to hunt one of my other buddies sites where he was getting activity. Had a sow and twins come in in the evening. I left my phone back in the camper so no pics or video of them. One cub climbed into the barrel and was raising hell inside. He mad all sorts of racked in that thing. Made 2 more sits after that and called it a trip. I'd now seen 15 bears to this point. On the way home I saw a sow and cub in a grass pasture just outside the forest edge in the sage flats a couple hundred yards away. This sighting made 17 for me. While I didn't fill my tag just seeing that many made the trip worth every second of it.

As of now the sow quota is at 4 of 9 so I still have some time yet. I'll be headed up Tuesday after work for a few days. It was hot and very dry this last trip and its supposed to be cold and some chance of rain and maybe snow. I'm all for some colder temps and a bit of snow.

I'll get some pics and videos loaded up tomorrow as its late now. But that's the story for now......

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
Video of the nice cinnamon on my main site.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Window Building Automotive tire Asphalt Tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Plant community Vertebrate Nature Leaf Natural environment

Plant Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Tree

Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle Wheel

Purple Plant Grass Window Electric blue

Cloud Plant Sky Mountain Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Hunting Deer hunting Smile Flash photography Hat

Yet again a Mike Miller Custom knife get the job done!!
Smile Fish Electric blue Meat Butcher

Plant Tree Natural landscape Wood Carnivore

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
I've tried several of those phone through the binocs deal and it never turns out good. Need to buy one of those adapters that don't require so much wiggling around.
I have 2 phone scopes. One for my spotter and one for my binos. I had neither with me that day. But I love the ones I have.

Reactions: dennishoddy
161 - 180 of 206 Posts