Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Ruger No. 1 has arrived and it is very nice, too nice. A bit of surprise in the bottom of box. Let me explain.

I did not pay premium for this rifle. I paid run of the mill Ruger No. 1 price. Way below normal price for a 450/400 3" 1H. In the box was a 42 fired Hornady cases and 2 sealed boxes of Swift A frame .410- 400 Grain bullets. With brass going for $3.50 a case, when it's available and the bullets $103 a box of fifty, I got some pretty good boot.

I gave Swift a call looking for load data for their bullets, but they did not have any. The fellow I talked to said finding bullets right now would be hard, but they're out there. He said finding brass will be near impossible. Hornady is the only source and they have not made a run since 2007. Actually Bertram makes basic brass that can be used to form this brass.

He said to use the published data for reloading this cartridge.

He suggested I look for 2150 to 2200 fps for best performance in this cartridge with their bullet. I wish I got his name he seemed knowledgeable and friendly.

Also in the bottom of the box was a packing slip from Ruger indicating the gun was recently shipped (26-APR-2022) from them after the barrel was replaced, the gun refinished, and stock replaced. Hummmm? I knew the stock had been replaced, but heard nothing about the barrel. Looking very closely at the gun You can tell it was refinished. The packing slip also says, "repair, proofed, safety function check range test and cleaning has been completed. 1/2" group at 50 yards with Hornady 400 grain DGS"-copy of test target enclosed.

Serial number look up on this gun says made 2007.

While I am not concerned about the replaced barrel, I would like to know why it was replaced.

Given the price I paid for rifle and getting $350 worth of brass and bullets in boot, I am happy.

I have mounted a Leupold 1.5-5X scope on the gun. Eye relief is an issue at 5X but just fine at 1.5. I have a set off offset rings on the way.

I'll do some pictures in a couple of days.

Now to do some reloading.

Anybody have a pet load for 450/400 3" NE?

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
Heck of a buy! I'm surprised they included the bullets and brass. That's a beast of a rifle for sure. Looking forward to the pics.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Maybe the last owner got run over by a Cape buffalo or a lion bit the end of the barrel during a charge but in either case the barrel was damaged. It’s Africa…..anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been locating load data on this cartridge. The last resource is the Hornady Reloading manual. Suddenly out stock every where even Hornady. Finally found one at Powder Valley. That manual should be here today.

I'll go over the manuals and see what looks the best. I have to work a bit differently to build this load as I have limited projectiles. I have to come up wit a good load for the Swift .410 400 grain and have bullets left over t make loads for the Africa trip. I have 100 bullets and that is it.

My targeted velocity is 2050 fps. Rifle will be sighted for 100 yards but accuracy will be 1 inch at 50 yards. I am going look at others pet loads for basic guidance.

I got the off set rings and that resolved the eye relief issue.

Now If I can get the 4th of July over with. We have all our kids coming thos year they have never all been together-hers, mine, will become ours. Is it okay to call people over 50 years old, kids?

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first two powders listed in the Hornady manual for this cartridge are RL-15 and H-4350.

Checking through my active powders on the shelf and in the storage boxes of the powder I packed up and moved down from Montana I came up with 2-1/2 pounds of RL15, (two unopened still sealed cans + an opened can.), 1 1/4 pound of H4320, one can still sealed. I also have 2 partial cans of IMR4320-around a pound.

That should get me started.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
The first two powders listed in the Hornady manual for this cartridge are RL-15 and H-4350.

Checking through my active powders on the shelf and in the storage boxes of the powder I packed up and moved down from Montana I came up with 2-1/2 pounds of RL15, (two unopened still sealed cans + an opened can.), 1 1/4 pound of H4320, one can still sealed. I also have 2 partial cans of IMR4320-around a pound.

That should get me started.
You found the holy grail for your load. There is powder for sale out there but holy crap it's expensive with the tax and hazmat unless your buying hundreds of dollars worth.
It used to be cheap for me to drive to Powder Valley and pick my order and orders of others up with no haz mat, but I sold that 35mpg vehicle and have a 12 mpg vehicle now with $5 fuel.
Our group used to order a couple thousand dollars of powder/primers between us, but the supply is so sporadic now that we can't get an order together. After a few days PV won't hold them like they would before.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You found the holy grail for your load. There is powder for sale out there but holy crap it's expensive with the tax and hazmat unless your buying hundreds of dollars worth.
It used to be cheap for me to drive to Powder Valley and pick my order and orders of others up with no haz mat, but I sold that 35mpg vehicle and have a 12 mpg vehicle now with $5 fuel.
Our group used to order a couple thousand dollars of powder/primers between us, but the supply is so sporadic now that we can't get an order together. After a few days PV won't hold them like they would before.
I’ve ordered from PV for many years but didn’t actually know where they were located until last week. I was going to make a run up there on my way up to pick up some powder, but it‘s far enough out of my way that it seemed like it would be a wash financially.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I’ve been going to PV location since two guys started it in an old wood barn using DOS software on their computer.
Much more sophisticated facility now.
It’s pretty amazing how many UPS trucks are in and out of there daily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts