Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll chime in with my experience but others will have more insight. Depends on the geographic location to some degree. Our property is in Okfuskee County kind of Central Eastern Oklahoma. The rut generally coincides around 3rd week in November - about in line with the rifle opening weekend. That said, I think the best time to be out is first week of November for pre-rut activity with a bow.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Younger bucks start chasing mid-late October, bigger boys start about the first of Nov here.

You may think that the rut is over mid November when the rifle opener starts...nope, bucks just start hiding more because every yahoo has descended into the woods with a rifle and poor skills.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Wife said she had to stop and wait for 2 bucks to stop sparing in the middle of the street today. Horn honking and yelling out the window did no good either. She also knows now to film that kinda stuff when she sees it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yup every day during rifle season I see my neighbor drive up to his stand in his atv 15 minutes into legal shooting and park under his stand and then see him drive our at about 930 am. Never hear him shoot a deer. Usually wait for the woods to settle and then start with the occasional tending grunt and a big boy will usually step out about mid day.

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Yup every day during rifle season I see my neighbor drive up to his stand in his atv 15 minutes into legal shooting and park under his stand and then see him drive our at about 930 am. Never hear him shoot a deer. Usually wait for the woods to settle and then start with the occasional tending grunt and a big boy will usually step out about mid day.
My neighbor was like that. I would see/hear his SXS come down the road at twilight while in my stand while he is heading to his. It's interesting to watch the reaction of the deer when they hear him go by. They panic and eventually come back. When a vehicle like a truck or car goes down the same road, they pay no attention.
That was back a few years. He has a ranch hand now that runs all over the place in a SXS or 4 wheeler all summer so I'm betting the deer are probably not as spooky now becoming acclimated to the sound.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
But, was that Oklahoma or Wyoming?
That was WY.
I did see 2 small bucks in a field across from my hotel tickling forks this morning. They were small dinks with a bunch of does. I’m in Glendale, AZ at the moment.
Bucks big and small are messing around in various parts of the country right now.

Reactions: DRC458 and kwaynem

·
Registered
124 Posts
Saw deer walking around each other giving the evil eye, was hoping for a fight, but they just walked away from each other. And that was inside Norman.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Stopped and watched this group of about 75 elk in an pasture field tonight. Saw 2 cows get on hind legs and start B-slapping each other. That was a first for any of us to see. That and the group of 30 or so Turkey also milling along the edge of the same field. Seen deer and Turkey together but never elk and Turkey together.
Within 2 miles we saw these elk, 3 separate flocks of turkey, a few dozen mule deer & whitetail and some antelope. Too bad they were all in Colorado.
Those are all elk in the back of the field.
Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape Highland Working animal

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Get some food out there and the elk will come. The farmers/ranchers around the Wichita Mt Refuge have major issues with the elk eating their crops.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Only bears can be baited in this here state. Some are trying to make it where you can’t even hunt within a certain distance of an agricultural field no matter what’s planted in it.

Reactions: dennishoddy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts