Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat in my blind this morning until about 9:00 this morning and did not see anything with the wind howling through the field. I decided to still hunt my way to the back of the property to see if I might be able to see something. I was working the edge of a brushy/over grown crp type field, and turned the corner to see a nice buck and a doe about 30 yards away. I was able to easily get my gun on him and looked him over. He was an 8 point with a nice spread, but little mass and medium length tines. I ended up giving him a pass, but I am wondering if I made the right choice. I am excited that tomorrow is supposed to be cooler.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
You probably did good.
During bow season, I watched an 8 point that was 2" outside his ears with medium length tines.
Early light, I thought I saw it looking into some brush. Saw the tine length, and pulled the trigger.
It was his son. Starting to get some mass, but definitly not the buck I was looking for.

Oh well, still have late bow season to take a good one.
Note the lack of trees.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Nice buck Dennis. What ya complain about on shooting him for?
I would of smoked him as well.No second thoughts about it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the buck! I saw absolutely nothing yesterday. I thought I was going to see more deer than I could count with the cold temps and the front moving, but nothing was going on where I was. Now I will be gone through the weekend for Thanksgiving. I hope I can get on one when I get back!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Went this morning late, due to a few matters of where & where not to hunt on city land. Wish they made things easier to understand ::) ::) ??? .
Anyways jumped a Doe & got the white flag.
Not bad for only been out for 2 hours this morning spot & stock hunting.

Tomorrow, hopefully will be set in before the sun comes up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I've seen deer every sit so far and really regret taking the first buck I saw wanting meat. Since then I've seen a little eight point and a very large 8 point that I wouldve put on the wall. Both within 25 yards and watched them just keep walking. I have learned my lession. But we are having a good season there are 3 of us in camp and 6 deer in the tree. I'm hoping to fill my last tag tonight. Good luck everybody

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well just tagged out 1 buck 2 does 4 for the year been a good season. And if you read this Dennis seen lots of ducks and some geese at kaw.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Congrats on your season Chris! Hammer down. :D
I'm seeing all of the waterfowl guides vehicles and boats around the motels, so one can figure its on.
I went to a place I've never deer hunted before last night, that only has a small grove of trees in the middle of a milo field that has not been cut as the crop failed, but enough remains to attract deer. It's flat with no place to hide, and busted 8 does out of it. I'll let it set for a few days, and slip in there early morning before daylight, and see if they came back.
I was fortunate when leaving this place to see one of the legendary duck tornado's on a pond. It couldn't have been bigger than 2 acres, but hundreds of ducks were swarming to land. It was incredible to watch with the binoculars.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The only tornado I've ever seen was a couple of weekends ago at Sequoyah NWR. a couple thousand snow geese were landing on a refuge sanctuary. Couldn't get them to fly low enough anywhere else. They know where they're safe! :(

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Last year Gauge and I saw duck'nado after duck'nado. It's quite the sight to see several levels of duck swarming in like that!

Went on my draw hunt at Okmulgee and the first day was windy as all get out. Didn't see a thing. Sunday was perfect and busted up 4 does and set up where they left from. First set up we heard something coming down the hill and sure enuff it was a nice buck...being dragged out by the hunter. Next set up, son in law got a nice 8pt buck that had his nose to the ground trailing where the does came from. Next set up was late afternoon and it started raining and hailing so we beat feet out of there while we could, plus it was dark.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not sure where I should post my picture since I'm not a team member of the contest. Hope this thread is ok. Anyway, I had been hunting all day opening day and about 4:30 I saw a really nice 8 point that was actually 455 yards. After lots of rattling and grunting I had him coming my way but he helded up in a big thicket at about 300 yards. I keep rattling and grunting and looking and never saw him again. When I was about ready to give up I looked to my left and this guy had came in to see what was going on. I was fortunated enough to make a good shot at 265 yards just before he reached a really bad thicket. He has a 12 point frame with trash. I called him a 14 but the check station checked him in as a 15. Either way I was proud of him.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Damm nice buck! You going to get him mounted?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Super nice buck. Congrats.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks Dennis and Gauge...No..No mounting. My wife pretty well decided that 3 deer and an antelope were enough in the house. I thought a fourth would be great but we've been married long enough (41 years) for me to realize that when it comes to the house she is the boss, no questions ask. I plan on cleaning up the head and he already has his spot on my Knot Head Wall of Fame in the barn...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Congrats ;D ;D ;D ;D Way to go on a great deer ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Awesome bucks guys, knarly nice rack on yours Sasakwa!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Excellent deer!! I would have to argue my point about mounting that one! I have one room in the house just for my hunting and fishing what nots, he would have at least been in there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yea Farmboy your probably right. I could have had him mounted and my wife wouldn't have had much problem with it. She just pointed out the fact that I have the two mounts in the den and both are much nicer than this one plus the room I have for most of my hunting stuff already has a pretty nice ten point, antelope and a buffalo skull and the room is really small to begin with. Hanging over my desk here at work is a 168 inch 8 point that will also being going home when I retire next year..I guess I didn't think it was worth the 450 dollars and the disagreement to have another mount....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts