Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my bear to the taxidermist today to have a rug done. We got talking about antelope and he showed us the new world record antelope he did for a guy that shot it in NM. It’s 96 4/8”.
Organism Horn Fawn Deer Terrestrial animal

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
Holy crap that's a huge speed goat! Biggest ever.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
There are some monster Antelope in NM.
We see a ton of them around Cimarron on our way to the Red River area. Only on the east side of the road, never on the west. Amazing.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He told me the hunters name but I forgot it as soon as he told me.
Yes NM has some studs and as such produces the top record book bucks year in and year out.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I shot one several years ago in Wyoming. First one I ever shot and didn't know what a good pronghorn looked like. When I got back to the ranchers house he told me that it was one of the biggest and oddest he'd seen. I need to put a tape to it and see what it scores. I wanted to mount it but I shot it through the throat patch with a 30-06 at about 50 yards so the cape was trashed. His horns curled out instead of in. It was in full blown rut and stunk horribly. The meat was eatable but gamey.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
I shot one several years ago in Wyoming. First one I ever shot and didn't know what a good pronghorn looked like. When I got back to the ranchers house he told me that it was one of the biggest and oddest he'd seen. I need to put a tape to it and see what it scores. I wanted to mount it but I shot it through the throat patch with a 30-06 at about 50 yards so the cape was trashed. His horns curled out instead of in. It was in full blown rut and stunk horribly. The meat was eatable but gamey.

You absolutely need to get it scored. #Smokewagon owned the Okla State record elk rack for years before he knew it. That's an impressive speed goat rack.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a tape to it if not for a score but for scat and giggles. The ones my boys and I shot last year were 60-63”. Not big at all. Haven’t scored this years as I was waiting for the 60 day dry time. I need to whiten them when I get back to WY later in the week. I expect this years to be around 70”.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

I watched a movie with the girls one night that had something looked like that hanging in a barn with the body and a guy with a machine gun waiting on it to wake up lol

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Basic guide line to measuring Antelope. Measure the greatest length. 14 inch is a good trophy. 15 inch is awesome. 16 inch keep measuring for score.

Jaw Fawn Deer Terrestrial animal Horn

15 1/2" even with broken tip.

Deer Organism Sculpture Fawn Elk

First antelope 1987, 13 1/4".

Wood Artifact Musical instrument Natural material Bird

Females often have horns, but this is the only one I ever say with two cutters.

Antelope can be hard to judge. You just have keep looking and looking to get an eye for it.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts

Have Ballbuster save you a cape. That looks like a pretty big one, especially with the upper portion so much longer than the bottom.

Goofy horns are not real common, but if you hunt antelope very often, you will see them sooner or later.

What is the greatest length of those horns, Greater that 15 as best I can tell without ears to compare, maybe even 16 or more.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Antelope are very hard to judge. Mass is everything followed by length and cutters.
For whatever reason B&C still take a tip to tip and inside spread measurement but it’s no longer included in the final score. I’ve seen some pics of gnarly looking goats with horns nearly touching as they go straight up and others that went nearly 90* out to the sides.
Ive been told that if the forks start above the ears it’s a good one. If the length is twice that of the ears it’s about 14-15”. Look at everyone you can and then look at even more is what works for me.

Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have none to send from this year. Had I seen this before my hunt he could have had mine.

Reactions: kwaynem
1 - 17 of 17 Posts