Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please explain your answers. I am thinking about taking the plunge and buying some Im just not sure it is worth the extra cash.

Michael

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts
I've never had any and don't know anybody that does wear it.
They advertise the heck out of it though. I don't want to start an internet rumor, but I think I read somewhere some guy was suing them claiming the scent lock stuff doesn't work. Knowing how some hunt, he was probably smoking, put on calone, and aftershave, walked thru a pool of gasoline with his hunting boots while getting gas,and was drinking a cup of coffee, and blames the scent loc.
I wash my cloths in the scent-away detergent, and spray down heavily with scent-away to include your tighty ****** undies, socks, inside of my hat, gloves, etc. I don't clean or oil my weapon once season starts as that smells too. I'll wipe it down with silicone as it doesn't have an odor. Most important....hunt the wind. Thats the only surefire way.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Do what ya want...I think it's all a joke scent-lok & scent-blocker.

Wash your cloths in Baking soda. Cheap. 1/2 a cup to a full load.
Add it to the inside of your boots too.
It removes odor & kills odor.

It has got me closer to game then anything else on the market.

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts
I forgot.
If you hunt in an area with cedar trees, back up into a tree and rub around on the greens. It will put a natural cover scent on your clothes.
I haven't done it in a couple of years, but I used to take scissors and cut the tender tips off cedar trees, put them in a blender with water, and blend away. After it gets pretty small, I'd strain the liquid thru cheese cloth or a t-shirt into a spray bottle. Works great, and all it costs is time.
If your in oak woods, I'd get the rotted leaves from under an oak tree, put them in a jar, and let them steep like tea in the sun, and strain them into another spray bottle. Smells just like the fresh earth scent you buy, and its a local smell for the deer.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I can't say that Scent Blocker works for totally sure, but I got some for really really cheap and have had deer within whisker plucking distance. But I've also had that wearing a charcoal chem suit that the military gives out. I also do the washing and scent free soaps and such. Just as hunting clothes (reguardless of scent) they are pretty good duds. If I had to pay full price I'd still be in regular clothes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Gauge and Dennis both got it right. Wash your clothes in baking soda and take a bath or shower, rubbing baking soda from top to bottom.Make sure you rinse it off.Break a cedar limb off and rub it on you and your boots out in the field.Cheapest sent-lock you can buy.I also brush my teeth with baking soda for breath control.

·
Administrator
13,580 Posts
If there are cows in the area, make sure and stomp and rub the bottom of your boots in the manure. Don't forget the toes and sides of boots make contact with the grass. Spray them with Scent-away.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I use to grind up some acorns and mix with water to make a slurry. Rub on boots and keep reapplying so the trail wouldn't cool off near the stand and send the deer the other way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always used the scent lock liner system. No complaints from me, I don't think it hurts my hunting any and the liner system is affordable so why not. It adds a layer in cold weather also. Early bow you can only hunt the wind, I can't think of a time I walked to my stand in early Oct. and not sweated my arse off. A++ on cedars, I love to hunt stands in cedars.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I have Scent loc base layer and a Savana Suite for bow season. Ive had lots of deer directly down wind, so it must be doing something. I also religously wash my clothes in scent free soap and spray down with scent killer each time i go out. You guys might also try the X-scent. Its cheap. It has silver threads interwoven in it that is supposed to destroy the odor, not just trap it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts