Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been following the rifle scope market lately. It appears after tomorrow I will need a new scope.

The only scope I will Consider is Leupold. Hard and fast, unconditionally Leupold. No Chevies, no Dodge, only Ford.

I am looking at VX 5HD and VX 3HD. Neither of these scopes come 3x9, but each has a scope covering that range.

Each has their own special whizz-bang features that I can live with or without. The key difference is 1 inch vs 30 mm tubes.

Is that really a meaningful difference to an old guy climbing up in a deer stand at sun up and climbing down at sunset?

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Along with a big objective the 30mm tube is supposed to transmit light letter than a 1” tube early morning and late evening.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
I’m going to have to get another scope also because Retrieverman is an enabler
In this woke world the correct term is “influencer”.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Glass quality and exit pupil are going to be your biggest factors in those first and last ten minutes of shooting light.

Exit pupil for those reading this that don't know how to compute is really easy. It is (objective size ÷ magnification = exit pupil in millimeters). An example would be a scope on 10 power with a 50mm objective (50mm ÷ 10x = 5 for your exit pupil). The human eye is usually maxed out at an exit pupil diameter at 2-3mm during the day, and up to about 7mm at night...but older farts like us are probably only good for about 5-6 in low light conditions. Anything better than a (5) and you're probably going to collect more light through the scope than you can with your naked eye...unless you were blessed with super-human vision in your advanced years.

Glass quality plays a big role. I'd like to point out here, that unless something has changed in the last year or so, that Leupold sources their optics lenses from China. It is made to Leupold's specs...but it's "Chy-nah" glass. Just food for thought on all those die hard Leupy fans. It is difficult though to get scopes that don't have something coming from China these days unless you go with something expensive...the cheapest being something from Light Optical Works made in Japan.

If you are actually only hunting at sunrise and stopping at sunset (~30 minutes of shooting light left either way) then it shouldn't matter at all.

However either scope should work fine (VX-3 or 5HD), and be plenty serviceable. Sorry, I'm having to cut this short...girls woke up and found Santa's presents.

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have not been following the rifle scope market lately. It appears after tomorrow I will need a new scope.

The only scope I will Consider is Leupold. Hard and fast, unconditionally Leupold. No Chevies, no Dodge, only Ford.

I am looking at VX 5HD and VX 3HD. Neither of these scopes come 3x9, but each has a scope covering that range.

Each has their own special whizz-bang features that I can live with or without. The key difference is 1 inch vs 30 mm tubes.

Is that really a meaningful difference to an old guy climbing up in a deer stand at sun up and climbing down at sunset?
I didn’t think about this earlier, but there’s a Swarovski Z3 for sale on OSA for what I consider a really decent price...probably cheaper than you’re going to find a Leupold.
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/swarovski-z3-riflescope-lnib.325566/

I’ve never had a Z3, but I’ve had several of the older AV series. The Z3 should be at least as good if not better.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gents for the feedback. If you haven't guessed already there is a gun behind this request for information. And, being Douglas, I can't tell you what gun without telling you a story. That's just how I am .

Last week my lovely sweet Okie Gal Wife said, Let's go for a drive, I'll drive ". Okay fine its something we do.

After about 20 minutes she pulls into the driveway of our favorite Outfitter and gundealer. We go in inside and Jerry hands me a 4473 and tells me, " fill this out". I point out the form is blank. He says, " it won't be in few minutes ".

While I am filling out the form Jane and Jerry are over in the storage room looking in a long white box. Long whitebox--Ruger! Jane says, " oh that's beautiful ".

I complete the form and Jerry takes it to the storage room and I can hear him make a NICS call. When the call is complete he comes out the storage room and me hands a long box wrapped in heavy brown paper, and says, " Merry Christmas! "

When we got home, my lovely Jane quickly wrapped the box and put it under the tree---where it has been tantalizing me all week.

This morning, my sweet Jane made me open the gifts from the grandkids first....yikes.

Finally, it was time. Last fall I lost a bid on a Ruger No. 1 7x57 by forgetting to up my bid. Apparently Jane listened. Because in this box was a Ruger No. 1. And not an old used gun like I had tried to bid on. This was a new in the box limited edition Ruger No. 1 Leopard 7x57. Part of A special set of 5 guns Commissioned by Craig Boddington, with a limited production run of 250 for each gun. Wow!

Rings included off course, in this case Warne Maxima's 1" Quick Detach

So looks like I will be looking to a 1" scope.

I found this Okie Gal 8 years ago, married her 7 years ago. She definitely is a keeper.

Sleeve Art Font Window Facade

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Fantastic rifle. Whatever scope you put on it will do it justice I'm sure.

Having a Ruger #1 myself I'll merely suggest one with as much eye relief as possible unless you're either 6'2" or larger, or built to simian standards. At 5'10" myself with a LOP at the industry standard of 13.5" I really have to stretch the old neck out to get a clear scope picture.

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Glass quality and exit pupil are going to be your biggest factors in those first and last ten minutes of shooting light.

Exit pupil for those reading this that don't know how to compute is really easy. It is (objective size ÷ magnification = exit pupil in millimeters). An example would be a scope on 10 power with a 50mm objective (50mm ÷ 10x = 5 for your exit pupil). The human eye is usually maxed out at an exit pupil diameter at 2-3mm during the day, and up to about 7mm at night...but older farts like us are probably only good for about 5-6 in low light conditions. Anything better than a (5) and you're probably going to collect more light through the scope than you can with your naked eye...unless you were blessed with super-human vision in your advanced years.

Glass quality plays a big role. I'd like to point out here, that unless something has changed in the last year or so, that Leupold sources their optics lenses from China. It is made to Leupold's specs...but it's "Chy-nah" glass. Just food for thought on all those die hard Leupy fans. It is difficult though to get scopes that don't have something coming from China these days unless you go with something expensive...the cheapest being something from Light Optical Works made in Japan.

If you are actually only hunting at sunrise and stopping at sunset (~30 minutes of shooting light left either way) then it shouldn't matter at all.

However either scope should work fine (VX-3 or 5HD), and be plenty serviceable. Sorry, I'm having to cut this short...girls woke up and found Santa's presents.

Merry Christmas to all.
Thanks for the detailed response. I learned something tonight!

I may be blessed with the super human vision in my advanced years.
20:15 on most visits with 20:10 on the others in the right shooting eye every 5 weeks at the Optomologist. Depends on the day I guess at 70 yrs old.
Left eye not so good with a little macular in that one.
Merry Christmas back at ya!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Z3 is a light weight scope, but you can’t go wrong with a Leupold.
I was looking at that Z3 scope to put on the .270 that was also listed on OSA. I'd buy that .270 if it didn't already have a scope on it. Seems a waste to get the gun/scope then take off the scope and not plan to use it on another rifle. If I thought I could resale the Pentax scope, I'd buy it.

I have a 4.5x14 VX3 that I bought with my Browning 7mm mag back in the mid 90's. Wouldn't trade that scope for anything....but I do know that Swarovski is incredible but several times more expensive.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I looked Z3 on the Internet today. First thing that jumped out at me was the price.

Swarovski usually Is top quality but always over priced. The Z3 line seemed reasonable in price. Then I saw the Z3 line is made in the USA.

Is that right?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I looked Z3 on the Internet today. First thing that jumped out at me was the price.

Swarovski usually Is top quality but always over priced. The Z3 line seemed reasonable in price. Then I saw the Z3 line is made in the USA.

Is that right?
I can’t answer that question, but I can say it’s a great scope. It’s the AV series “rebranded”, and I’ve owned a dozen or more AV series scopes. I’ve shot with my buddy’s Z3 3-9x36 and 4-12x50, and it’s identical to the AV 3-9x36 and 4-12x50 scopes I used to have.
To be honest, I like the Zeiss Conquest series just about as well, but since you’ve already stated your opinion of Zeiss optics, I wasn’t going to suggest them. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm going to throw another opinion that nobody will care about, but one may want to research into Meopta optics if a dedicated hunting scope is desired.

Almost all of the parts are Czech made, some of the scope models are assembled here in the US, but still using Czech parts. Meopta also used to make the Conquest for Zeiss.

Glass is Czech glass, and heavily influenced by Schott technology (the uber awesome German glass everyone raves about).

I understand that it is difficult to migrate to new brands after loyalty is established, especially when there is a price tag associated with it and little chance to easily get your hands on one for comparison.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts