Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Here's a chart of a few scope tracking tests done on student rifles over the course of a few precision rifle courses. For simplicity; the closer to "100", the better. If the scope received a "FAIL", it broke during the test (Vortex x2...but lesser models).

I'd like to note that some brands/manufacturers use the same erectors and internals across several of their lines. For example: Bushnell's DMR, HDMR, ERS, and XRS all basically have the same internals...so while we only see a sample of 1-2 for each, you can actually combine all four of those models for an accurate representation of how well their top tier scopes track.

Most of these are ta tactical scopes, but are also usually the higher end models of each brand.

If you'll never, ever adjust your optic in the field, then this chart is moot.

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Metric caliber needs a “European” scope. A Z3 Swarovski would look great on that gun!!!(y)
What were those names you guys using on retrieverman?

Well after he made the post quoted, he got me researching.

My bias against Swarovski was based on my experience 30 some odd years ago. They were atop quality optic, only being bulky and expensive.

I Have been looking at the Z3.

This scope will go on a English Farquharson style American made rifle, A Ruger number 1 in 7x 57 Mauser. as Retrieverman has stated at begs A European scope.

So be it.

Monday I will check the quarterly/Yearly IRA statement and see how much I have earned.

All my life I was told to save money for retirement. I did that. No one ever said what the money was for. Now I know. To buy a new Swarovski scope for my new rifle.

By the way did I ever mention the good taste in gift giving my Okie gal has?

Any suggestions where to look for a Z3?

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
Where do I buy a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope?

That’s a few places to start. Good hunting!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well it looks like dropped the ball in this thread. To actually make a long story short---well short by my standards--I got a Z3 3-10 Swarovski and mounted it on the "Leopard" Ruger No. 1 in 7 x 57 early this spring. I had to use extended Ruger rings to get the scope far enough back to get full eye relief with the Swarovski in higher powers. Even that is marginal at 10x and just okay at 8x. At 6X where I will probably hunt with it and it is just fine.

As I mentioned in an other post I have plenty of ammo and components for this gun.

Automotive tire Font Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

I took the "The Buffalo" the Ruger No. 1 in 450/400 3" inch out to the range this morning to center the scope and get ready to develop a load. I decided since I have never shot The Leopard, to bring it along also.

That corelokt ammo has a $19.99 price sticker on it. I don't remember what rifle I had back then that shot this cartridge, but this ammo has to date before 2006. It's not premium ammo. It is just Remington's run of the mill promotional hunting ammo that they use to sell every hunting season. This box had 8 rounds left in it.

Even though the targets were only out at 50 yards today, I shot The Leopard to center the Scope.

Regular routine. Bore sight the scope then fire one round and adjust. Again the first shot from this gun was centered 7 inches high. Came down 56 clicks and fired. Could see the shot, so fired two more. That lower shot is "bucked". I discovered the The Buffalo 450/400 3" left a knot on my shoulder and I shouldered the Leopard into that knot and fired. To summarize "ouch".

Rectangle Triangle Font Material property Symmetry

Rectangle Human body Triangle Font Red

This second group was fired by my Ex-Son in Law. He said he had to really bare down and to beat me. He did.

I had to explain to him all he did was beat an old man, big deal. On the other hand, if he hadn't shot a smaller group, he would have been beaten by an old man. :) He couldn't win.

The Swarovski scope has nice optics and I am sure it will serve me well. It is a pain in the back side to adjust however since you have to push the turret in to turn the knob. It makes feeling the clicks a but touchy. Should be pretty solid once set however.

This gun will be my deer rifle this year so I will be doing more shooting with it before November.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'd certainly be anticipating recoil with that beast too.

.30-06 in a 8lb total rifle is about my threshold for shooting decent groups before I become the reason for fliers. Even then; after about 20 shots I'm going to start anticipating recoil and shouldering into the rifle. A 12lb .308 target gun starts to get me down into the "pleasant" range (without muzzle brakes).

·
Administrator
16,081 Posts
A PAST Magnum recoil pad goes with me to the range when shooting big bore rifles.
I love recoil in big bore pistols but not so much in rifles.
I think Caldwell bought PAST out a few years back but the link shows what I’m referencing.
Makes the 30-06 feel like a .223 in an AR.

Caldwell Ambidextrous Shooting Recoil Shields with Durable Construction, Solid Fit and Thick Padding for Outdoor, Range, Shooting and Hunting https://a.co/d/cPgB6I5

Reactions: Kennywayne

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have used the pads in the past, but long ago lost track of them. I do have a hunting shirts with some light pads, but they are in storage with the hunting gear. They are very useful for shooting from the bench doing preliminary load work and sight in from the bench.

If need be I can get out my High Power rifle shooting jacket and use that. Unfortunately it is right handed and I am no longer shooting right hand primary.

Recoil can be managed and tolerance built, and that is what I am going to do. The length of pull for this Ruger No. 1 seems correct for me. That is a start. Eye relief is good and I am not crawling the stock. I just need to practice positions and make sure I get the buttstock in the pocket of the shoulder and not the ball--ouch that hurts. Once I get a proper load and the gun sighted, no more shooting from the bench. Most will be done standing tripod, with some sitting and kneeling.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Quick up date. Deer season came and I took the Leopard out to the Range to verify it was sighted previously with the Remington 140 gr corelokt ammo. I Shot the Federal ammo and it would not group.

Needless to say I did not hunt with the Leopard this year.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts