Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my daughter to a new piece of land south of me. It's 1,033 acres broken up into 2-500 and 1-33 acres segments. Went to one of the 500 segments for the morning and walked around checking the ponds for sign and marking fences and other usefull info on my map for later. Saw little sign at 6 of the 7 ponds I found. Still need to find a way to the 7th as it was blocked by thick cover and a deep cut creek bottom.
Was 0915 and my daughter and I were walking along and I look off to my left and see a deer about 70y away. We drop down low and I take my pack off, tell her to say put and wait for my signals. I gave her my Primos can and fawn distress call. I scooted about 25-30y closer and all the cover I had was 2-3' tall grass and 2 scraggly bushers. I got into shooting position on a knee and gave here the sign to use the can. She did it 3-4 times and the buck looked right our way. Next thing I know another buck about 20y from him pops up and looks our way. I use my binos to check the head gear out. They are 1 1/2 year old bucks with one a 3pt and the other a small 6pt. They go back to feeding and I give the can sign again. This time the 3pt turned and comes right for me. It stops at about 30y looking right at me. I try and draw and he spooks and runs back to his brother. I give the distress sign and my daughter lets loose on it. OMG!!! The 3pt come full charge at me. I try and draw and he thrown on the brakes at 20y as I'm trying to draw. Again he tunes tail and runs back this time they both tear off into the trees. I call my daughter over and we laugh and talk about how cool that was. We tried tracking them but never saw them again. We finished our scouting and went for lunch.
We drove by the 33 acres parcel and it had a bunch of cows on it and so we didn't even bother going to check it out.
After lunch we went to the other 500 acres parcel. I was worried from the start with all the cow tracks and droppings. We checked out the ponds and again little to no sign from deer. But the cows had torn the areas around the ponds apart. We jumped a yote and it was the first my daughter has seen. Not happy we decided to head back to the truck as this area looked worthless. As we came atop a hill I noticed another car parked by mine and with the binos saw it was 2 hunter just headed into the area. As I start to walk I catch movement about 400y away on a hillside near the main road. I look with the binos and its a big buck, not sure how many points but he was big enough that the sun had them sparkling. If I had to guess he was at least an 8pt. He ran across the open hillside and into some tree leading to the neighboring property. That buck and yote along with a snake, lizard and 100 cows was the only things we saw.
We headed back to the other 500 acres.
As we are walking to the one ponds with the most sign we get started by a killer dilla. It's the first live dillo my daughter and I have ever seen. I runs up under some bushes giving me a straight away shot at about 7'. I take the shot and direct hit it starts trying to dig a hole. I grab it by the tail and lift it up to pull my arrow out. I drop it and it runs away from me. I knock the same arrow and shoot it again at about 20y. This time he's down for the count. I scored on my first killa dilla. I take the arrow out and we set it along the trail to get when we head back to the truck. As we get close to the pond my daughter spots a yote about 40y ahead of us walking away from us. I knock and arrow set my 50y pin on it and let fly. It goes right over its back (hence about 40y away) and off it runs. We set up around the pond seeing nothing but a few birds and 2 snakes swimming around catching frogs. That's was fun watching. As we head back to the trail I spotted another yote by some trees and when he saw us he gave a little yip and took off. We didn't get 50y down the trail when I hear a blow and 50y or so to our right runs 2 does. We walk on and not 75 yards from us another yote lets out a howl. OMG talk about catch you off guard and make ya wanna wet yourself. It startled both of us. Another yote behind us maybe 100y lets out a howl and then at least 5-6 more let out howls near by. We laughed and listened to them for a bit before moving on to get my dillo. The dillo had vanished as we found where we left it but it was gone. I'm not sure if a yote would have taken it but I'm sure it was dead when we left it. So no dillo mount for me to work on. As we walk up to the truck something darts in front of us and I hit it with the flashlight and its another dillo, cool 2 dillo sightings in one day. We load up and as we drive down the dirt road I see a doe standing on the other side of the fence on huntable land. Just our luck its dark and an easy 20y shot.
So all in all we saw 3 bucks, 3 does, 4 yotes and 2 dillos. My daughter and I had a great time together. I may not have gotten the sot at the buck and missed a yote but my killer dillo made for a fine trophy.
Sorry so long had to put the whole day in perspective.
Here is my trophy dillo.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Freeking awesome story!! ;D It sounded like a day in paradise for you and your daughter. Contrats for getting her out, to enjoy natures finest. :D

Did she have a problem seeing the dead animal? Most don't in my experience. They are just courious.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She thinks dillos are cute and was upset I shot it. When I told her about all the nasty bugs they carry she wasn't so upset but still thought they was cute. She also said she wished it was a deer instead (so do I). But no the blood and the sight of a dead critter didn't bother her. Its been 3 years sense she last deer hunted with me but waterfowl hunted with me the last 2 years. She has been in the field with me sense she was 3 years old so hunting isn't new to her. She is 11 now.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Now that's a successful day hunting, everyone had a blast and memories too boot!

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking to go back this Sat and take my 7 year old boy with me. I'm kinda worried as he has cost me a few deer over the last few years. He sees one and goes into total deer fervor and all but comes un glued. I bet if I put a gun in his hand he would shake so hard he couldn't hit the ground if he tried to shoot it. lol its funny.

Back in VA I called a nice 8pt in from about 80y outs or so. Got him to within my 40y comfort zone. Was at full draw had leaned around the bush and was just about to let the arrow fly when he yells SHOOT IT DADDY SHOOT IT. He cried after I told him he just scared that buck and every other deer around off for not being quiet. Had to carry him back to the truck he was so upset. I think he was 3 years old at the time. But that's one of my best hunting stories. I felt so bad for him I couldn't even get mad.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Looking to go back this Sat and take my 7 year old boy with me. I'm kinda worried as he has cost me a few deer over the last few years. He sees one and goes into total deer fervor and all but comes un glued. I bet if I put a gun in his hand he would shake so hard he couldn't hit the ground if he tried to shoot it.
Is there a problem with that?

I still have a twitching right leg, when I see one. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a problem unless I'm about to let an arrow or lead fly and he scared the critter off. Then I'm left with a tag to still fill.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
No matter what the out come of the hunt.
As long as you have fun and stay safe...It will beat a day @ work any day.
Well you got the ML season to look forward too & only have 7 others out in the field with you if that many.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to miss the first 3 days as I will be out of town. But other than opening day on the other 500 acers I have yet to see a hunter. I have already put out some mineral licks and turnip stuff in a couple of good areas I have seen bedding areas and rub lines. If I'm going to miss some of the hunt then I sure wanna know where to focus when I do hunt. I got a buck and doe tag so if its a deer its down. Then I can go elseware to fill the other tag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts