Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got some input on a good digital scouting camera that is fast? I'm thinking about getting one, tired of dealing with the old 35mm. I hear cuddybacks are crap :p Any info would be appreciated for an affordable one. Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
Anybody got some input on a good digital scouting camera that is fast? I'm thinking about getting one, tired of dealing with the old 35mm. I hear cuddybacks are crap :p Any info would be appreciated for an affordable one. Thanks!
Cuddybacks are high priced crap. Yep, they do trigger a little faster(I own one) but after the first season the buttons that you program with fell off, and the 1.2MP black and white Infra Red is so grainy you can't even count antlers. I have always used the Stealth cam. Started with the 35mm, and went to the models that use the flash. The deer are not frightned by the flash. They think its lightning, or a distant car. I have multiple shots of the same buck using the flash mode. The trick to get the shot is to point the camera at a 45 degree angle or better down the trail so that the animal is in the frame longer. Put out some feed. That will stop them. Its amazing what you get on the camera with a bag of corn just thrown out in the timber.

go to Deer hunting section, and go back a few pages. You'll see pics I've posted using the Stealth Cam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I suggest the HCO ScoutGuard 550 and Covert II. I used them all last year and now have stopped using all my home built cameras. They will cost you around $200 and are awesome cameras. IR, use SD cards, VERY small, last for ever on 8 AA batteries. Takes stills or great video. Fast. Several places to get them around Oklahoma and on-line. I have never had one single problem except not having enough of them. Check them out.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I just recently bought 2 Stealthcam IR's to catch my cheating wife. Worked like a charm ;D . Cant wait to use them this deer season.

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
I just recently bought 2 Stealthcam IR's to catch my cheating wife. Worked like a charm ;D . Cant wait to use them this deer season.
Awesome! I have that cuddyback mounted in my barn high enough they cant reach it with a ladder that is not there. Sneaks and cheats deserve what they get. Been there and done that. ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Have one on front door and garage.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife cheating on ya Smokewagon.
That's the worst a spouse can do to ya.
Good thing that you caught her in the act- now take her for everything.
She don't deserve jack squat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I ended up getting the Moultrie D40. I bought 2 at bass pro this past weekend for $70 apiece. Couple of friends use them and say they are slow but good for feeder setups. All in all if I don't like them I've got 90 days to take them back :) Hopefully have some pics up soon.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
There is a rumor at work that they have set up several around my work desk to see if I actually sit there and work. I'm not taking any chances so I stay away from it at all costs.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird the truth hurts... :D
You know ya spend all of your time @ H&H Gun Shop.{ Under surveillance cameras} ;D

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
All part of my research to see what lengths the .gov will go to, to track wayward employees. Someone has to do the guina pig trials.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Yep, You fit the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
After this season, Ive come to the conclusion that my cheap Mountrie 4.0 kicks my Stealth Cam IR's ass all over the field. Its pictures are so much better and it picks up game alot farther out. Better night pics since it has a regular flash. The IR's dont shine very far at all. The batteries in both lasted a very long time. I had a Wildview, or somehthing like that I got at Wally World and I had to change the batteries every 3 days.

·
Administrator
13,594 Posts
After this season, Ive come to the conclusion that my cheap Mountrie 4.0 kicks my Stealth Cam IR's ass all over the field. Its pictures are so much better and it picks up game alot farther out. Better night pics since it has a regular flash. The IR's dont shine very far at all. The batteries in both lasted a very long time. I had a Wildview, or somehthing like that I got at Wally World and I had to change the batteries every 3 days.
I've not seen a IR that I would buy after wasting $500 on one of those cuddy backs that are supposed to the the best. You can't even count the points of a buck in the grainy pic.
My 99$ stealthcam flash is on the tree now, while the cuddy back is resting on the shelf in the shop. Junk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts