Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now a certified scuba diver. I took my 4 lake dives this weekend at Lake Tenkiller, and dove around two sunken boats, a bus, a plane, and a Coast Guard helicopter, with a total underwater time of 107 minutes. Afterward, we went out to the island and dove around a cool dropoff at my maximum allowed depth of 60ft as a certified open water diver for 47 minutes. Two days of diving and 154 total minutes. I'm already addicted and I can tell this is going to be expensive.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Congrats!
I've done a swimming pool dive with scuba, and it was amazing. Always wanted to get into it further.
Get an underwater camera. A guy at work does this, and he has some amazing shots.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Learned how to dive at Puerto Rico a few years back and enjoyed the heck out of it but haven't dove here yet. It is a blast those first few breaths you take underwater.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just looking at underwater cameras online today. Can't wait!

Does anybody have around $5000 I could borrow to get some equipment? I'll pay it back POD (Payable on Death)!!!! ;)

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Actually if they still make 35mm film, I might have one at a much more reasonable price that what your looking at.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Who did you get the cert through. I'm a certified PADI Divemaster. I first got cirted som 11 years ago. I was spoiled when I did it all in Guam on the reefs and all the sunken ships and planes. I have been lucky and dove all over the world. Last check I had I was close to 300 dives and bottom time was in days. My longest was just shy of 90 minutes at a max depth of 45 feet. Had many dives over 1 hour in lenght. My deapest depth was 180 feet.

You will love it. BTW make for some good fish tackle collecting times as well.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dennis- They still make 35mm film. Too many photographers are still preferring it to digital, so I doubt they'll quit making it.

Steven- That's awesome! You must have excellent breath control (air consumption). I began that 60ft dive with 3000 psi, and surfaced with somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 psi 47min later. Of course I'm still very new at this and that thermocline was cold. As soon as I hit that thermocline, the sudden shock made me take 5-6 quick breaths. Brrrrr!

I did find a plastic worm, and tons of beer cans.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Dennis- They still make 35mm film. Too many photographers are still preferring it to digital, so I doubt they'll quit making it.

Steven- That's awesome! You must have excellent breath control (air consumption). I began that 60ft dive with 3000 psi, and surfaced with somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 psi 47min later. Of course I'm still very new at this and that thermocline was cold. As soon as I hit that thermocline, the sudden shock made me take 5-6 quick breaths. Brrrrr!

I did find a plastic worm, and tons of beer cans.
Up until a couple of years ago we spent a lot of time in the Carribean and Pacific coast resorts. Quit going as the drug cartels were taking over some of the areas, and we just didn't feel safe.
We tried the disposable underwater cameras, and the results were poor, so we bought a regular underwater one. It not an expensive one, and If your interested, I'll get out the info and send it to you so it can be reviewed, and you could see if it would meet your requirments.
If your not really interested in a camera period, thats cool too.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I'm definitely interested. I've been pricing them online and don't know exactly what to get, or what is good.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Advanced scuba diver, with 9 dives so far with just over 5 hrs cumulative bottom time. Score!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I have a plastic housing that I put my camera in.

My big problem is I forget to log dives. The year and a half I work on the dive team at the Virginia Beach Aquarium and Marine Science Center I averaged 2 to 3 dives a week for tank cleanings and fish feeding shows. With a max depth of 10 feet and fish feedings only lasting 15 minutes I didn't bother. But the tank cleanings we stayed down for an hour or more.

Okherp your regulator will also play a big part in how much air you suck in. Some will keep a constant air flow pressure no matter how hard or slow you breath which is good. Others will litterally force the air into you once you take a breath and that adds to lost air and less bottom time. On mine I'm able to adjust it some for more or less air.

But as I certified Dive Master and Rescue Diver I'm also required to have a second regulator which in the case of mine is a low cost one with no fancy perks other than it will give you air.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to buy some gear this spring with my tax return, so I'm doing a lot of homework right now. As far as the breathing, I was assured by my instructors (one of whom is a good long-time friend) that breath control will come with practice. I probably won't be able to do any more diving classes until spring, but I am looking forward to the rescue diver training and specialty diving classes. I want to teach the underwater naturalist and Project AWARE Fish ID. I already know that stuff as a biologist, but I have to follow protocol to teach it according to PADI.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Sounds cool. I've done a bunch of wreck and night dives. Just wait till to get down to 100' and the nitrogen narcosis kicks in. When i hit 180' I felt so drunk I could hardly keep my mind on the dive.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was a little worried about being narked, but my friend (the instructor) said that he doesn't even begin to feel any of the symptoms until around 135'. I was at 90' for 45 minutes with no symptoms at all, so I'm not that concerned with it anymore. I may be doing a drysuit class next month, then getting my 5 adventure specialties this January. I may actually make master diver by summer.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I know the requirements have changes sense I got mine. used to be you have to have 60 dives is all. Now I thinks its based on total bottom time. Also Nark don't usually kick in till 100'.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now it's 50 dives. :)

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Dang! your getting after it:D

·
Vendor
511 Posts
Recovery Diver here. Have not been in the water a whole lot over the last few years. I used to run North East Oklahoma Underwater Recovery. We were called out on the I-40 bridge accident as support then we were asked to look for a seven year old up in western OKlahoma shortly after that. I guess it just got to me after a while. Lost count of the work type dives. I have around 100 recreation dives.

I have not been up to Gene's on Lake Tenkiller in a while. How is the old Pirate doing.

Have fun in the water and enjoy the hell out of it.

Michael

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He seems to be doing fine. When I was in there looking around, there was a woman looking at a shorty suit. He was being pretty spunky!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have 9 dive so far. I think I can get all my requirements and a total of 50 dives by summer. I would like to teach the underwater naturalist and AWARE Fish ID.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts