Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

SDA - Concealed Carry

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dennishoddy 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon Gents,

Curious if anyone has had recent experience with getting their SDA Carry Permit. I took my class this last weekend and took care of all of my business at the Sheriff's office this morning.

How long to get your permit in the mail from OSBI?

Opinions on holsters and carry positions would be great as well.

I have grown up shooting guns but always want to get better. Has anyone come across a training class or instructor that you would recommend for a new concealed carrier?

Thank you,

Sam J.

#2 ·
What part of the state are you from. Up by Tulsa is the US Shooting Academy (https://www.usshootingacademy.com) that I've heard some very good things about. In central Okla, I'd recommend Shoot-N-Iron (Shoot-N-Iron Practical Shooting and Training Academy. Paul Abel's defensive firearms training and assault response training classes. Weapons instruction for personal self-defense, safety, security and protection. Small arms civilian, law enforcement, ) run by retired county sheriff Paul Able. He's also makes S&W and Dan Wesson revolver triggers feel like butter.

Don't know of any out west/south west.

#3 ·
It can take up to 120 days to get your permit. Think I got mine in 90 days or so, but that was 10 years ago.

TDSA in Tulsa is the premier training course in Ok and this part of the country.
AP1 (advanced combat pistol) is 16 hours, and in that 16 hours you'll shoot at least 1000 rounds. It isn't a classroom class.

Marshal Lutton, and his staff of instructors include a Master class competition shooter, and current Tulsa LEO officer.
Its also one of the least expensive you will find.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...i-0ObClWEYLs1zjzMA&bvm=bv.88198703,bs.1,d.d2s

If you have a local range that is putting on USPSA or IDPA matches, go shoot a match with them. Its addictive, and after a couple of matches, you will really learn to run your gun, clear malfunctions, acquire targets in the shortest time possible, and as a side note, you get free advice from experienced shooters. It will amaze you how fast and accurate some of these competition shooters are. Great group of folks that welcome new shooters with open arms. If your interested in that route, let me know. I can tell you what gear you need to get started. You probably already have it.

Holsters kind of depend on what gun your planning on carrying and at what position. I carry a Kahr CW40 ITWB at 3 o'clock in a Don Hume leather holster.
You may prefer appendix carry for body size, or the type of garment your going to be wearing.
Figure out what gun you want to have as primary carry, and go to the Big Wannamaker gun show in Tulsa. They have one in the spring and one in the fall. Worlds largest gun show. Walk the aisles where the holster manufacturers are, and try them all out for free. That's where I figured out the Don Hume was the one for me.

#5 ·
Thank you guys for the replies, great info!

I should have mentioned earlier that I live in Yukon, OK. Also, I purchased my first handgun, a S&W M&P Shield 40. Bought it online and transferred it for $10 through the guys at Freedom Pawn at NW Expressway and MacArthur in OKC. I definitely have caught the handgun bug and am all over the map on what I want to get next.

I have heard good things about Wanamachers and am thinking about seeing if I could pickup a full-size handgun in the $300-400 range. Maybe a Beretta 92?

I would be really interested in getting into some type of competitive matches. That would be a good fit with my personality and something good to do during the hunting off season.

What kind of gear would you need to get started?

#6 ·
You can pick up a Kahr for $350 to $400 if you keep your eyes open on the net.

If your just starting out, the best competition would be the steel Challenge matches at the OKC gun club. There is one this weekend starting out at 10am if you want to go out and see how they run.

Basically, its a speed shoot to see how fast you can shoot an array of steel targets.
It can be shot with a centerfire pistol, .22 pistol, .22 rifle, or a centerfire pistol round carbine rifle. There will be 5-6 steel plates at different distances. At the beep of the timer you start shooting. There is a designated stop plate you have to hit for the last shot. Then the time stops and is recorded. There will be 6 stages with different targets at different distances. You have to shoot each stage 5 times. Scoring is the best 4 out of five. If you really screw up one, its thrown out.

Experienced shooters shoot it to develop speed skills, and beginner shooters, (kids included) find its a way to learn to shoot your gun, learn what it takes to make it reliable, and just have some really good fun.

Hope I haven't confused you. I just gave a brief gloss over of the rules. Its really shooter friendly, so I'd sure suggest going to the match to see how its done.

#7 ·
Took me 90 days to get mine and that was a few months back.

#9 ·
I guess I'm a little late to the party. I got my permit last year. I submitted my paperwork online around memorial day and received my permit in the mail July 22nd. As far as holsters go, my daily driver is an outside the waist leather scabbard, right on the hip, it's by far the most comfortable holster I own. It tucks the gun right up against my side, so under an un-tucked button up shirt, it doesn't print. There are circumstances I use an inside the waist holster, but it's not that comfortable to me. If I'm hunting or going to the range and I don't care at all about concealing, I've got two Level 2 retention holsters I wear, one is a paddle and the other is a low-ride belt slide, they are both very comfortable, but no way to conceal them unless you wear a heavy winter coat. lol. As you can tell, I have quite a few holsters for just one gun. Really, it comes down to what YOU like. My $.02, decide on what gun you are most comfortable and proficient with and then experiment with holsters until you find the best fit. It's a slightly expensive proposition, but I'm glad I kept looking until I found "the one". lol. As far as position goes, I think by my holster descriptions you can tell I like my gun right where my hand falls, on the hip. I don't get how some people do ankle, pancreas, cross-draw or any of that other stuff. It seems unnatural and awkward to me, but I guess it comes down to how much you train with it. Which brings me to your last question, yes TRAIN. There are instructors all over the state for the most part, I'd strongly encourage anyone who carries to continue their education and take formal training with a qualified instructor. Lucky for me, my father in law is a retired State Trooper and he has no problem teaching me how to do things "the right way". lol Hope my rambling helps. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.