Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dennis and I were talking yesterday and I mentioned the idea of starting a new topic for reloading. I’m getting back into it, but new to the rifle/ pistol stuff. I’m sure many have though about getting into or back into it. Many of you are seasoned vets at it.

This is my question to y’all…Who would be interested to seeing a new topic for reloading and reloading related data?

Some have recently posted some worked up loads they tested others kill hogs with loads they’ve worked up and share that test info regularly. Many of us use the same calibers as well. It can include gear and equipment we use or are considering using not just load & test data.

Lets see a show of hands for or against and by all means your .02 is very much welcome. We will give it a little bit before we contact the powers that be on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'll play both sides of the angle;

Being a 14 year "veteran" of one of the largest precision rifle forums, there are a couple of subsections dedicated to reloading, and range reports. While those two don't always go hand-in-hand, they frequently share information.

I do like the separate subsection for sharing of load data. I think it helps to have that info in a place where some members who are a little less experienced using the search function can easily find it.

That being said, I see just as much of the reloading information being shared in other subsections, and not being posted in the load data area. Members who want to show their new equipment often just leave their handload information wherever they feel. Subsequently, the load data area gets a lot less attention than others.

I think we should give it a go, but perhaps combine handload information and range reports into one category. I don't think that it will be as popular as the guns and ammo or hunting sections, but I'd be willing to contribute enough to have something new to read on at least a monthly basis. I do a lot of reloading, although I do try to avoid it in the heat of the summer as much as possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I like this board and don’t intend this as disparaging, but this isn’t a very lively place. I don’t think another sub section is necessarily going to change that or draw more people. Just speaking for myself, I don’t have a problem posting reloading topics in the “guns and ammo“ section.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I am loosely drawn here, not much holding my attention, reloading would help a lot. This year I will only spend 4 days deer hunting. But going to the range prepping guns for that hunt will be a lot longer, most of it for load testing...I have three candidates in need load development for that hunt. Perhaps 20 to 50 shots to find a gun to fire one shot in November. And of course check sights shots for the back up gun.

I like to write. Writing in this case helps me evaluate and analyze my shooting- it helps me find weakness and errors in my loads.

Lets do it.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I know I’m constantly viewing other forums for information on reloading and I check this sight probably 5 times a day maybe more I think anyone’s info on something they know is a big help loads that I think are great maybe tweeked and made better from another’s experience

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Another thought, supporting this Idea is that I am unlikely to write about any cartridge newer than 120-130 years. The internet is loaded tons of stuff about the newer stuff, very little on the old. The New stuff I see---some of it seems very scary---

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still have a few more folks I’d like to hear from. Most of the regulars have spoken. I don’t see a rush for it at this moment in time.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I need to make an excuse to stop procrastinating and go to the range and test this new load. New board would be a perfect incentive. I think I will go load the truck this morning with range gear, in anticipation.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my tumbler yesterday and my case trimmer, powder stand and powder trickler are supposed to arrive tomorrow. All I need now is a digital caliper, primers, bullets and powder…..oh and some die sets.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got my tumbler yesterday and my case trimmer, powder stand and powder trickler are supposed to arrive tomorrow. All I need now is a digital caliper, primers, bullets and powder…..oh and some die sets.
You may have already said, but I didn’t catch it or don’t remember. What calibers do you intend to load for?

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You may have already said, but I didn’t catch it or don’t remember. What calibers do you intend to load for?
I want to start will .223 so I can get some hunting loads made for the wife to test for her goat hunt this fall. I can’t find anything but FMJ around here and I need a 60g+ expandable by regs as well.
I also plan to reload for Rem 7mm Mag, 30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .270 and .44 Mag. All in due time and supply availability of course. These are our main hunting calibers right now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I want to start will .223 so I can get some hunting loads made for the wife to test for her goat hunt this fall. I can’t find anything but FMJ around here and I need a 60g+ expandable by regs as well.
I also plan to reload for Rem 7mm Mag, 30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, .270 and .44 Mag. All in due time and supply availability of course. These are our main hunting calibers right now.
If your 223 rifle will take 5.56 ammo, look at the Hornady Black 75 gr Interlock. It’s really good factory ammo that my brother uses for shooting pigs.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Showing up late to the discussion, but I like the idea of a reloading room discussion. You have to wear a white lab coat to enter tho.
No, but clothes are required.

I’m waiting on my package to arrive today like a kid on Christmas morning.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that’s a disappointment. My loading equipment is in my house, and I’ve loaded quite a bit of ammo in my underwear. If I promise not to post pictures, can I still participate in the discussions?🤷‍♂️ :unsure:
Anyone can post pics of reloading in progress and equipment they’re using. We do ask that you have cloths on. Reflections off equipment and others items can make for embarrassing moments.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts