Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out working today.
I came across my first porcupine here in Oklahoma.
Glad,I had my cell phone that has a camera in it to get photos of him.

He was out walking around & hunting up stuff to eat this afternoon.
Temp was 16 all day long.

I tree'ed him like a hound dog & got a great photo of him in the tree from 5 feet away. ;D

Here are the two photo's from today.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I've never seen a live one in the wild, but have seen a dead one beside the road just north of stillwater, a little west of Sasakwa's house. I sure hope they don't get a foot hold up here as I don't want to see one of my dogs with a nose full of quills. :eek:
I'd like to see one up close like you did though. Was he spooky at all?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis,
I talked to a few friends this evening.
Come to find out they are a rare occurrence in this part of Oklahoma.

He had pretty markings a lot of yellow in the quills.
His claws were close if not 2" long.
(Yes) He was spooky/skittish of me.
The ones, I seen in N.CA where the same...Wanted to get away from ya.

He would of made a nice mount. ;D

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I have seen many dead on the road and run into a few in the wild. None here in Okiland so far.
Had one a few years back that was living in my dads apple tree in the back yard. Folks dog never got tangled up with it but the dog sure let it know he was boss of the yard from what my folks said.
Back in '97 I was a Camp Commissioner at a BSA camp and came back late one night from a date with a gal that worked in the dinning hall. I crawled into my sleeping bag and heard a rustling under my cot. I leaned over turned on the flashlight to see a big old pine break for the back door of my wall tent. I got a couple swings in with the broom before he got away.
I had a bunch of quills I had taken off a road kill porky but they got all busted up in a move. Be nice to have some more.

Gauge ya should have tried to talk him out of a few quills. Surprised he didn't sheet a few for ya when he realised he was being persued by the GWPH.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I'll be danged, have never seen one of those either. Yesterday morning I had a red fox run across the 4 lane hiway in front of me and that's the first live one I've seen around here. I've seen one that got run over about 3 miles north of me. Guess everything is out trying to hustle up some food.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Saw two at Quartz Mtn before (one DOR), and one at Boiling Springs. Actually smaller than I thought they would be.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I'll be danged, have never seen one of those either. Yesterday morning I had a red fox run across the 4 lane hiway in front of me and that's the first live one I've seen around here. I've seen one that got run over about 3 miles north of me. Guess everything is out trying to hustle up some food.
We see quite a few red fox around here. They live in the Conoco refinery tank farms, and I have seen one family of them living in a culvert at the Lamont Ok elevator property.

Bull, What do they use the quills for?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bull, Like you.My quills were broke in a move.
I wish,I had a leather welding glove yesterday to get a few off of him though.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
We see quite a few red fox around here. They live in the Conoco refinery tank farms, and I have seen one family of them living in a culvert at the Lamont Ok elevator property.

Bull, What do they use the quills for?

They use them for defense. Ya get too close and they WHACK YA with there tail. I can only assume it hurts like hell as I ain't got the balls to take one on and win bare handed.
However there tails have short quills and there back has the really nice long ones.

Bull, Like you.My quills were broke in a move.
I wish,I had a leather welding glove yesterday to get a few off of him though.
What ya didn't go GWPH on him for some. LOL

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I kinda knew they use them for defense, but when you lost some of yours, i just thought they were used for something else.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Like a duck hunter keeps the pin feathers from a pin tail for a keep sake. I pulled them from a road kill just so I could have some. I probably had 40-50 quills. I pulled a dozen or so from another 2 years ago but gave them to my twin brother.

Next time your out and about and you see one dead on the road (probably need to go out of state) stop and get ya some.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
I saw several up in Minnesota when I was doing contract work for the Forest Service. They're never really in a hurry to get anywhere. I saw a few big ones as well...about twice that size. Those things can sure do some tree damage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.