Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do any shed hunting or seen any sheds so far? I need to get out and look at the folks place to see what I didn't get last fall.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I normaly find um during turkey season.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
I'm going to try and get the 3 wheeler out sunday on my day off, and see if there are any yet. Most of the bucks I see around the house and at work are still carrying their head gear. ???

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well it is just now March. Shouldn't be much longer till they drop off.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
Feb and march are typically the prime time for drop off. Don't know what is taking them so long. Our security guard saw this buck last night with his rack still on here at the plant on our food plot I put in last fall. I don't have the camera's out there any more, but he has seen the pics, and says its the same one.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Yep, Dennis late Feb & early March is when they drop. Nice look'n buck.
Come,April they are start'n to go into velvet.

Gauge

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's going to be one fine lookin buck next year. Ought to have some more mass to the headgear. Boy is he wide.

G

·
Dennis I bet your dreaming day and night about that buck. I know that picture has me thinking about hunting on family property in Iowa. Come on deer season. I got to say one really cool thing about California hunting is bow season opens up in July out here. You have to move quickly once you start processing due to the really hot temps. So far haven't had one spoil yet but I got co-worker out here that shot a deer last July in the A.M. by the time he recovered the deer it was triple digits and the deer did not smell right. I just shook my head and thought what a waste when he told me the meat was not edible. I never hunted with him because he has time after time told me stories about his lack of ethics. He thought he was impressing me, and hasn't figured out why I won't hunt with him

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
I don't think I'll get a chance at that buck in the pic. A couple of us decided to put in a food plot on the company grounds out by the lake. Our motive was to try and get the plant manager to let us bow hunt out here by showing him just how many deer were on the property. So far we've had no luck. (he's a bowhunter)!

Bow hunting in July? That must be the earliest season starter I've heard of. Is it for blacktail & whitetail?
I have a hard time getting motivated when ours opens in October. I don't think the deer would like the smell of the sunscreen, and the sound of flip-flops coming thru the woods ::) ;D

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D :D

G

·
Black tail is what inhabbits this neck of the woods up in the mountains you get Mule deer or Black crossed with Mule. In the area that opens in July is strictly Black tail. White tail is not native to Ca. I get those in Iowa though. I got to say in my opinion Black tail hunting is a little different than White tail as White tail seem to be spooked a lot easier than Black tail. Ive had Black tail deer walk right up to me to see what I was then walk away calmly. Last year I had several doe with fawn within feet of me and had a nice buck walk within stabbing distance of me. I pulled back but decided to let him go he was young and had perhaps the best genetics I have ever seen broad haunches very muscular and perfect semetrical antlers. But young. I think I might harvest him either this year or next. Sometimes it is just as sastifying to know I could have but didn't.

·
Administrator
14,278 Posts
I know what you mean rfreeman about letting them walk. I haven't taken a buck in 4 seasons now as I just haven't seen one any bigger than I have on the wall, and our deer managment plan is to let them get in the 5-6 year range. I have seen bigger ones, but they just have been out of range, or running. :'(I get plenty of meat with the does.

I'd have to assume that since your hunting the blacktail in the high country, its probably cooler.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
O' no it ain't.

CA, set's their deer season up's,so ya never get a chance to hunt the rut.
The mountains are cooler but only to a certain degree.

Ya, normally got to haul *ss once ya shoot 1, so it don't go bad on ya.
Since Colubian Blacktail are a subspecies of Mule Deer, they like the Cedars in the high elevations.
Wich are normally on a hillside with rock ledges, So it can be warm all day @ 7000 feet.

G

·
Guage your exactly right. Usualy when Im out its in the upper 90s' to the low 100s'. Sometimes It will get down to the high 80's but thats rare. I did get to harvest a black tail but it was out 40 yards in failing light. I had to use instinct shooting with my bow as I could not see the sights. Good thing I started learning archery with a long bow. I hit it exactly were I was aiming. The deer dropped in less than 100 yards. A few hours later it was processed and in my freezer. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Rich, & their ain't nothing niceier then meat in the freezer.
Nice shoot'n as well...40 yards ain't that far with a gun / but with a bow it's a hole lot different.

Rich,
How big was he, The 1 ya got?

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But young. I think I might harvest him either this year or next. Sometimes it is just as sastifying to know I could have but didn't.
Rfreeman, that and it's a lot less work draggin in a memory than the whole deer!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts