Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old browning recurve my father gave me long time ago. wanting to get into bow hunting here recently and never really took what shooting i did with it seriously. just used cheap wally world arrows and a small foam target. never shot any distance either. i am really lookin for guidance on what arrows i need maybe and points that would be good for practicing. also a recomendation for a target. then if there are any recurve shooters out there with pointers to someone starting up shooting this thing it would be greatly apreciated.

thanks
BECKER

·
Registered
717 Posts
You need to go to an archery shop.They will check your draw length and the weight you are drawing at that length.These two things will determine what spine arrow you should shoot.If you have an underspined arrow it will not stabilize correctly.The points you need will have to be the same weight your broadheads will be,so they will shoot the same. As far as target,get what you can afford.Most of them will take a recurve shot arrow.There is allot more information out there but this will get you started.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I recently purchased a Martin Jaguar from Sportsmans Guide. Got it for $115 after my buyers club discount and a $10 off coupon I had from a previous order. I like it so far. Will see how it does at Big Mac this year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bow i have is really the only bow that i have ever really shot. so its kinda like i dont know any better...from what little i have shot it tho over the years i really have liked it

·
Administrator
13,910 Posts
Good advice from ibokie. I bought my compound in the 80's and it wouldn't shoot at all. I went to the bow shop and found that in the day, it was pretty fast (really slow now) and my arrow looked like a snake crawling across the grass in mid flight. He had a really good hi speed video camera. I changed arrows, and the groups came in really well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
two things you need to understand if your going to shoot a traditional bow is you just don't grab and arrow and pull the string and pluck it lol. i myself am learning the rights and wrongs of traditional shooting. you can shoot wood carbon or aluminums but you have to figure out what you need for weight with broadhead and you need to set your nocking point where you get good flight beyond a few yards. give me a shout and i will see if i can help you out. i have plenty of trad friends who are helping me
you can also go to tradgang or tradrag and they can also help you get started, there are some great people on those sites
rob k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts