Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm saying this because I killed two cottonmouths just below my house this morning. I'd be more excited if it weren't for having kids and the dog around.

Busted the first one at close to 10 yards. Watched his head pop up and off about six feet in the air before landing in the water. Fished it out for confirmation (just to prove it wasn't a watersnake) and took a photo.

Busted my second in the same spot about 45 minutes later as I came back through. This one was only about five yards, and I came close to missing...but the bullet did the trick, even with a graze. Didn't get as close for a good picture, but the bar behind the eye is there.

Killed with my trusty M&P40. I used to hate this pistol, but after a trigger swap, new front site, and stippling the grip it is a handy tool. That and putting premium defensive ammo in...or in this case meticulous handloads using a Speer Gold Dot.

I've killed a lot of stuff with this pistol, probably more than any hog rifle.

Organism Reptile Bedrock Terrestrial animal Snake

Organism Wood Road surface Asphalt Trunk

Organism Snake Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Horseshoe

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
You gonna eat them? Been awhile since I ate rattler.
We had rattlers listed as its in the game regs.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You gonna eat them? Been awhile since I ate rattler.
We had rattlers listed as its in the game regs.
No desire to mess with snakes of any kind for food. Although a good-sized rattler or copperhead would probably get me attempting to make a hat band.

All I've killed this year are cottonmouths. I did get a copperhead two years ago. They're too ugly to mess with (cottonmouths).

I was joking about adding them for points.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Buddy in CO helped a friend pack out a ram this past weekend. The hunter was glassing for rams and saw a squirrel close by. Something hit the squirrel and when he was going to go look he saw the snake. Rattler killed and ate it whole! Not that rams were on my list but they definitely aren't now!
Plant Twig Terrestrial plant Wood Tree

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Amazing how big an animal a snake can get down.
Saw a rattler on the side of the road eating a young bunny rabbit that was twice the diameter of the snake west of Stillwater a few years back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts