Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have killed a few but no wallhangers yet.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Check out my other wallhangers post too.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts

This buck grossed 164” but the drop tine dropped it to 1581/8”.

These are the wall hangers in one of the shop buildings. Don’t know why that one flipped over.
All Cy Curtis bucks that are shoulder mounted.

This is last years buck. Haven’t scored it but it has the most mass of any buck I’ve killed.

There is another shop building with racks in it. Too dark for a pic tonight.
I’ll take one tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
No shoulder mounts here. Turkey fans, euros and skull caps around here.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
They aren't technically wall hangers, they are currently shoved into a closet. The largest there is about 136". I never got around to actually doing anything with them. I cut them off and put them in the closet. The wife doesn't like them being visible.

Largest was my first rifle buck in 2007, then the widest rifle buck in 2011, the smallest was my first and only bow buck in 2017, then my first and only muzzleloader buck in 2019. These are the only antlered deer I've ever shot except for a doe I shot once which had buttons.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I don’t have any cams out now on my clover. Probably won’t put them out until September.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Like Dennis I have saved a lot of horns and just counted the number on my fingers and figured I have 55 years of hunting. I have a whole wall of taxidermy most just ordinary stuff. I have saved everything in later days but some of the older stuff is long gone.

I killed my first buck age 15 in 1964. My first buck tag was filled in 63, but that is different story. Dad saved this rack and gave it to me some years later when he and mom were retiring to smaller Dig some where in the 80's.. I used a cape from a buck I took that year. Had the horns from one deer plated and put the first buck horns on the cape. Not a book deer but a great first deer-worthy of wall hanging. And it is a Blacktail for southern Oregon.

Twenty years later in the mid 80's I went back to college and hunting took a serious note-putting meat on the table for wife and two kids on a colleges student budget. One of the professors had a large piece of land in the Southern Oregon hills a invited me and my wife to hunt. I got this one, it would have scored slightly over 125, which is book minimum for Blacktail. Wife and I were walking along an heard a commotion. I had never seen or heard deer fighting before. We came around the corner and there was a doe stand looking right use about 30-40 yards away. Wife put the gun to her shoulder and shot that doe right between the eyes. (she had a does tag, I didn't) When her deer dropped we saw two bucks beyond the doe. I shot the one on my side, as she worked the bolt on her gun to shoot the other. As she shot he jumped a log, and she blew big hole in the log.

This deer could not be scored as it had a broken horn. As I was field dressing, my wife found the broken point and the Taxidermist glued it back. Those marks on his chest are from fighting.

I was kind of glad she missed her buck that day. I had to field dress two deer and drag them to road, which seemed like a the time to be about mile but probably was only a couple hundred yards. A third deer would have killed me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lots of really nice bucks. Retrieverman, I sure hope you keep getting pictures of that buck as he's got a GREAT start already for mid-June! I need to build a few of those tripod feeders and get rid of the **** cages!
20210619_183222.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Better late than never but here are the 3 antelope and mule deer my boys and I got last fall. Antelope L-R are mine, youngest boy Austin’s (his mule deer as well), and oldest boy Garrett’s.
I did them all myself.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts