Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Nice display! Those European’s came out really white.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Nice display! Those European’s came out really white.
Thank you.
I tried something a bit different this time around with my whitening mix. It was stuff I’d brought with me from OK. I will probably continue to do it that way as I did like the results better. Just need to find where the nearest place to get the stuff is.
If the wife gets her first goat this fall then I’ll certainly do one for hers. Depends on what the boys and I take if I do ours or not. Kids call on MD & elk should they fill those tags. If they are worthy then shoulder mounts will be done.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yes it is a wallhanger but I have never really thought of this deer as a true trophy. Several years ago I got to fill in for a friend who bought a Texas high fence whitetail hunt that he could not attend due to a medical situation. It cost me travel expenses, Texas hunting and fishing license and taxidermy bill. Honestly the 1/2 day I was there was not that enjoyable. Shot this buck within 15 minutes of the first morning at about 25 yards as it walked straight to us. Didn't walk 20 yards from the electric golf cart to blind. Pen raised bucks turned out in a very small fenced in area(maybe 30 acres) almost void of any grass or cover. The entire hunt was about as "canned" as tuna. The buck was 3 1/2 years old and scores 230 and change. They raised a bunch of white horned whitetail freaks on this deer farm solely to sell and kill. A deer of this caliber taken in the wild and fair chase would really mean something to me. This one not so much.
The most enjoyment I have gotten out of this deer has been by filling people full of BS when they ask where I shot it. I'll tell them some random place that we both know of and say "yeah, just north of there past the Wheeler cattle pens" or "it was bedded with a doe right there in the vacant lot behind the softball field. Heck you drive by there everyday going to work don't you? If it Wasn't for that Lewis girl hitting one over the fence and spooking that doe I would've never seen him. He was still there the next morning when I snuck in shot him with my recurve bow I built from a hedge tree at 7 yards". That's usually where the know I'm lying through my teeth. Not something I would ever do again.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Went on a high fence pig hunt once. I didn’t feel like I hunted anything.
Finally got down from the stand and walked through the woods.
Saw several pigs coming my way. Wind was in my favor so just stood there until they made it to bow range. Mama pig knew something was off and stood there with me at full draw with her vitals behind a tree.
Young one was not so patient going around her so the arrow was released striking a limb when it turned getting a Texas heart shot that was fatal.
I still have the broadhead buried in the spine in my shop.
Better to be lucky sometimes. Ended up being 90 lbs. Perfect meat pig from what I’ve been told.
I’ve killed two in my lifetime. First was a 200# boar that was rank. Dogs wouldn’t even eat it.
Fortunately my hunting areas have none.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Still a knarly buck even if bottle fed. They make big money from the rich folks on them high fence hunts.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I was looking into one just for fun seeing the prices and these jokers want 15k for some deer. Who would ever pay that? The place is 15minutes from where I hunt, I don’t see the point. It doesn’t seem fun and gollybum the prices.
Anything over 300 inches started out at $25,000. They didn't even look real.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Anything over 300 inches started out at $25,000. They didn't even look real.

There’s a video going around on YouTube where a guy in Tx on a high fence management hunt shot one of the ranches trophy breeder bucks.
Ranch hand in the video said that was going to cost him around $40,000.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I never have been on a hunt with high fences and don't intend to. There's no challenge to it. I have more respect for an animal I have harvested in a fair chase than one that has been penned up all its life.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I’m not cutting down how anyone chooses to punch their tag and who is to say my way is right and the other guy is wrong but that kind of money is just insane to me and even if I had 40k that I could dump for me investing in a small patch of ground and growing some deer that way would be a pretty good trophy but you’ve got to think the people doing this are doing it for vacation not the hunting experience. If you have 40k for a deer you probably already have the land and just want something to do that weekend. Crazy money! Can’t blame Murphranch for pulling the trigger though

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I never have been on a hunt with high fences and don't intend to. There's no challenge to it. I have more respect for an animal I have harvested in a fair chase than one that has been penned up all its life.
I have many bucks in the 130-170 range that mean so much more to me than his deer does. Everything from trail cam pics, personal encounters and sheds they dropped added to story each one has.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Why pay that kind of money to hunt? I was taught that getting a trophy deer isn't everything. I have one buck that scored 112 5/8. He may not have had a big rack for a 8 year old but he was smart and wise. I got him during archery season 10 years ago. He sometimes wore my patience to the breaking point. Sometimes it seemed like he would taunt me by staying just out of range or show up when shooting time was over. Finally on my birthday 2011 I changed my strategy and I finally outsmarted him. After it was all over I felt happy and at the same time sad because this buck hadn't gotten to be that smart for nothing. He challenged me beyond my expectations and taught to be a better hunter. I don't always get a deer every season because sometimes I just enjoy getting out and watching nature. I have harvested quite a few deer in Missouri where I grew up. None of them were big trophies but I was happy with what I got. So I hope some of you now understand why I hunt free range wildlife.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
Most of these high fence ranches aren’t a quarter section with trapped animals in a pen.
Most of the Tx ranches run 20,000 acres up to almost a million acres on the King ranch.
Shooting a high fence deer in those situations is just as difficult as any non fenced area.
The people typically hunting those ranches are highly paid professionals that don’t have the time to scout, develop food plots and pattern the animals so they pay the price to get a trophy for the wall.
BTW if the ranch is a legal professional breeder, the DNA of the bloodline has to be submitted to the licensing agency that gives the permits. They are not eligible for B&C recognition.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Most of these high fence ranches aren’t a quarter section with trapped animals in a pen.
Most of the Tx ranches run 20,000 acres up to almost a million acres on the King ranch.
Shooting a high fence deer in those situations is just as difficult as any non fenced area.
The people typically hunting those ranches are highly paid professionals that don’t have the time to scout, develop food plots and pattern the animals so they pay the price to get a trophy for the wall.
BTW if the ranch is a legal professional breeder, the DNA of the bloodline has to be submitted to the licensing agency that gives the permits. They are not eligible for B&C recognition.
That makes wonder how those guys on TV pay.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The place here In OK I was looking at is 200 acres and offers all kinds of exotic animals even zebra! I thought you have got to be kidding me who would buy a zebra kick it out and say let’s hunt this thing! I thought that was goofy. They will even let you go on a hog hunt for $275 a pig.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts