Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
Gauge and I used to pass a high fence place NW of Medicine Park on our way dove hunting. Wanna say it was out near Carnegie. Was a private ranch and I don’t think they did hunts to the public just high end clientele.

Babe you know the place I’m thinking of?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Gauge and I used to pass a high fence place NW of Medicine Park on our way dove hunting. Wanna say it was out near Carnegie. Was a private ranch and I don’t think they did hunts to the public just high end clientele.

Babe you know the place I’m thinking of?
That's the first time I've have heard of it. I know a Taxidermist who raised whitetail in Duncan but I don't if he still does it or not. He didn't raise for hunting but some of them had some huge and weird racks.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There was a place around Henryetta that would buy your old billy goats and a sheep if they had at least a full curl on their horns. May have been JW’s preserve hunts. A buddy of mine would go to every sheep, goat or exotic sale he could find and buy up with the best animals and turn around and resale them to the preserve. Not sure if that place is still operating or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Haha yeah I’m pretty sure it is. Went to school with the owners grandson, how did you hear about the place? You know now that I think about it it might not be when the grandson was supposed to start running it his prissy new bride was miserable on the ranch and they moved back to their home town so I’m not sure they had anyone to keep it going. I always thought that was so silly they sure would by those animals and let you pay a fortune to hunt them. Had the full experience cabins and fish ponds everything. I never did and still don’t see the point but they were around for years so folks must have paid and gone. They would go to all the sales and buy wild game for the thickest wallet to hunt. Creative idea I reckon

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I checked they are still around and the oldest in Oklahoma. Thing that made me laugh is that their website says the offer the “challenge” of hunting these animals.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Charging folks to shoot pigs blows me away they pay for this. My cousin lives I that area and kills a mess of pigs and before the recent law was making a killing catching them live and selling to these kinds of places.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
We are pretty fortunate to not have pigs at the farms. One side of me wants them to hunt but after seeing the crop damage they can cause I’m glad we don’t.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I saw one program 2 yrs ago where a guy was hunting buffalo with an Shilo Sharps rifle. The 30 min program was him riding around in snow with his buckskin cloths on and his deep inner thoughts and recollections. The climax of the show was him taking what looked like a 50yrd shot at a bull bison but you could see the feed trough, salt lick and 3 corners of a pen during the different camera angles. Guess he backed off to 50yrd to not get splattered in blood.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was looking into one just for fun seeing the prices and these jokers want 15k for some deer. Who would ever pay that? The place is 15minutes from where I hunt, I don’t see the point. It doesn’t seem fun and gollybum the prices.
I’ve got a friend who paid $15k to shoot a 230” buck inside a pen and tried really hard to convince me what a great experience it was. I really don’t get it, because the guy is a legitimate hunter. Granted, where he hunts in the TX panhandle, he’s not likely to ever shoot a 200 class buck, but damn, $15k is a lot of money just to say you did.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That’s an insane amount of money. Start a bathroom/kitchen remodel, pay off the wife’s car, take the kids in a nice trip ANYTHING else almost seems like a better place for that kind of money over shooting a pet deer. Mr. Hoddy made a good point and it does make sense they provide a service to these professionals who don’t have time because they are busy keeping the world we live in spinning (sarcasm) and if you are on 20,000 + acres that’s pretty much fair chase but speaking of the 2 “ranches” 12 miles from me get real 200 acres and in the website it says if stand hunting is slow we will stalk now that’s funny but I reckon you can’t say hell bob come on I know what corner the hang at! Just silly to me

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My friend who originally was supposed to go on this hunt pulls down anywhere between $5,000-$7,500 a day in the directional boring and fiber optic splicing business. His services are highly desired and not many people can sit down inside a hole in the ground while splicing hundreds of pieces of fiber together.
If I was in his shoes I’d rather spend the money on a guided Canadian, Mid-West or other big buck producing area hunt that has a good track record of producing trophy deer instead of an instant canned hunt. Oh well, each to his own I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’ve got a friend who paid $15k to shoot a 230” buck inside a pen and tried really hard to convince me what a great experience it was. I really don’t get it, because the guy is a legitimate hunter. Granted, where he hunts in the TX panhandle, he’s not likely to ever shoot a 200 class buck, but damn, $15k is a lot of money just to say you did.
I hunt hogs on a ranch where the daughter married a big lawyer down in Dallas. They aren't up here a lot, but it is leased for cattle.

The lawyer is a nice, older gentleman. He showed me last year where three of his friends all nailed 200"+ non-typical bucks together (in one hunt) on one place down in TX. I didn't ask if it was a canned hunt...the photo was all the evidence needed.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts