Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I was wondering where you were. I enjoy watching your videos.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
I follow you on YouTube and watch all of them anyway.

Reactions: diggler1833

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It is on my bucket list but I still haven't had any luck finding a place to go because the property owner say no because they don't allow hunting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is on my bucket list but I still haven't had any luck finding a place to go because the property owner say no because they don't allow hunting.
Property owners can be a bit cautious. Usually its because they've been bitten in the past in one way or another. I've got a "nobody else clause" as I call it with most of the places I go to right now, the only exception is a landowner that knows my F-I-L. I don't mind that clause too much as I still get access, and after some of the abuses that happened on this ranch years ago I fully understand why.

Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part for sure. Even harder if you don't have the equipment. If you don't have the gear, I suggest using a guide service that provides everything. I wish you the best over there.

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
Property owners can be a bit cautious. Usually its because they've been bitten in the past in one way or another. I've got a "nobody else clause" as I call it with most of the places I go to right now, the only exception is a landowner that knows my F-I-L. I don't mind that clause too much as I still get access, and after some of the abuses that happened on this ranch years ago I fully understand why.

Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part for sure. Even harder if you don't have the equipment. If you don't have the gear, I suggest using a guide service that provides everything. I wish you the best over there.
Very true. As a landowner, I've been burned more than once by those hunting on me by inviting others without permission, As well as having access to properties where I have taken others with permission that have gone back on their own without permission.
I've had guys that I took with me go to the landowner where I have permission to hunt and try to lease it which would cut me out from the no-pay hunting I had enjoyed for years.
One would think they would appreciate the invite to hunt and work their best to get another invite by following the rules of the landowner but somehow it doesn't turn out that way in most cases.
Hunting on me is restricted to only to one family member and myself. He would divorce his wife before losing hunting privileges.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
A lot of people have no respect and feel they can do as they please on others land. Some assume an Obote is a free invitation to come and go as they please. Public land is the same in many ways.

I was lucky many years back and had a buddy with access to 3k acres of killer hog property that was also a cattle ranch back in California. He was allowed to take me from time to time. They had a breading herd of Tule elk on the ranch that the fish and game monitored closely. Buddy invited another guy once he’d met on a hunting forum and that guy went back later on and shot one of the herd bulls. The land owner who was also my buddy’s boss said not more guests, only he was allowed to hunt the ranch for hogs.
That guy ended up in jail for poaching and some other crimes but nevertheless he let greed get the best of him.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The other problem I have is property owners wants to lease their land out to hunt on. I just don't have that kind of money being on a income that I have to budget to make ends meet. So that's why I hunt public land and do the best can I with that .

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The other problem I have is property owners wants to lease their land out to hunt on. I just don't have that kind of money being on a income that I have to budget to make ends meet. So that's why I hunt public land and do the best can I with that .
If it is leasing for deer, I know that it helps the landowner financially. I run 90 production cows on my place, and I'm very thankful to have an additional source of income, as I would be scraping by otherwise. Leasing hunting rights for deer could bring in several thousand more. I should also mention that I don't lease here...I'm the hunter.

It stinks in some ways because then everyone wants money to hunt their land. One work around if you can broker it is to exchange labor for access. Spending a week cutting, bailing, and moving hay may get you on the guest list. If course, each area and circumstance is different.

Where I scratch my head is on the landowners who try to charge a fee to remove destructive hogs from their property. In that case; forget them, and I hope their land becomes unusable. They are free to charge as they want, but hunters are also free to bypass their property and push all the hogs over to them by eradicating on the neighbor's places.

Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. It took me the better part of a year to get more than one additional place for hogs. Now I have about 10. Being a stand up guy and getting word of mouth recommendations is how your access explodes.

Good luck and keep at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts