Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here familiar with the USSG line of fire arms? They make a single shot rifle in several popular calibers. I'd like to purchase a singe shot and was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about this manufacturer or had any dealings with them, etc. Thanks

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
What caliber are you looking at?
I'm by no means an expert, but if I remember USSG is an importer, and not a manufacturer? They were importing some of the Baikel weapons? My mind is fuzzy on this, but I remember that they had mixed reviews. Some swore by them and some said they were junk. I'm not sure how many lines they carried as some were shotguns, and others were rifles.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Don't know the price difference but you might look at a Thompson Center Encore. You can get all sorts of calibres,black powder and shot gun barrels to use on the same reciever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I was looking at either the .270 or 308. I currently use a .243 and have for many, many years, but the allure of a single shot intrigues me and I feel I may want to go that route. I read somewhere that Baikel is making Remington's single shot rifles and the reviews are not flattering at all. Very shoddy craftsmanship and people are wondering why Remington would even put their stamp of approval on these guns. I guess I will give the T/C a look, but from what I have read these guns are quite heavy. Again, many thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
H&R along with CVA also make multiple calibers in a single shot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i shoot a NEF handi rifle [H and R] it is in 22 hornet and i LOVE IT...buddy has one in 30-06 and he LOVES...would definatly recommend them and they are priced right to and have numerous options for calibers and can have other barrels fitted to it by sending the frame to the factory and if i remember correctly they are half of what an encore barrel costs

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I have an old H&R .410 that I bought as my first gun back when I was 11 years old for $17.50 used. I've always wondered if another barrel/caliber could fit the action. Guess I need to get on their website and see whats available. I still shoot it on occasion but all of my younger relatives(I come from a big family) have used it as their first gun to hunt with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
they wont fit barrels to those actions anymore. the rifle frames, SB2 i think, they produce now are centerfire only and 410 to 12 gauge and if the rifle action is of certian age it must check serial number to see if its a low pressure or high pressure frame. all of them now are high pressure. the shot gun frames can only be fitted with shotgun barrels. there is a good write up on this on NEFs web site and then also on greybeardsoutdoors.com in the NEF section i think thats where i learned most of this.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
thats quality information. TKS!
I'll log on and see if there is anything that fits. Mine is about 70+ yrs old.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have my dads old topper 410 its '65 vintage bought new, my fav for squirrel and rabbits and quail if im in practice. also got a 12g topper and then my hornet handi rifle

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the NEF in 204 Ruger, I like it well enough. With the wood stock and bull barrel, it is alittle heavy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts