Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering which choke tube to use for slugs in my 870, improved cylinder or cylinder choke?

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Improved will work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have both. I haven't used choke tubes for slugs before so I was just wondering.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
As said, either will work.
Even a full choke will work although not recommended.
Reason is that ammo manufacturing can’t risk slugs rupturing a barrel so they use very soft lead that will pass through modern steel barrels.
Don’t use slugs in grandpas old Parker or Win model 12.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I’ve shot slugs through fixed modified choked barrels in single shots. In fact my first slug deer was shot through a Rossi single shot 12g with fixed modified choke.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've "accidentally" shot a rifled slug through a modified before, no worse for wear. Although, when I slug hunted in my younger years I used improved cylinder mostly. I have a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel on my "slug gun" that I barely use anymore and it groups 3" at 100 yards with just a plain bead sight with Remington "High Velocity" Slugger rifled slugs. This is a Rem 870.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
I hope to get one with a slug this year. Will be using an old single shot but it seems like a fun idea. Also thinking about the blackhawk
I had to add an after market recoil Sims pad. Damn thing dislocated my shoulder with the plastic pad that came with it. Felt like a KO punch from Tyson. Smooth and sweet now with the Sims pad.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I had to add an after market recoil Sims pad. Damn thing dislocated my shoulder with the plastic pad that came with it. Felt like a KO punch from Tyson. Smooth and sweet now with the Sims pad.
Ha so maybe the Blackhawk then! I’ve fired a slug from it before, it’s only 20g and the recoil was manageable. I wouldn’t want to do it all day but I think one shot at 20yds will be alright 40yds max. Brings up another question, would the 20g do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Ha so maybe the Blackhawk then! I’ve fired a slug from it before, it’s only 20g and the recoil was manageable. I wouldn’t want to do it all day but I think one shot at 20yds will be alright 40yds max. Brings up another question, would the 20g do the trick?
A 20g will kill a deer just as dead as a 12g. Shot placement and distance taken into account.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Arkansas used to allow the .410 slug for many years but since disallowed it.
The 20 ga will work nicely

·
Registered
378 Posts
Arkansas used to allow the .410 slug for many years but since disallowed it.
The 20 ga will work nicely
Back in the 80’s, I bought a bunch of 410 slugs, and I never lost a deer I shot at. I’ve still got the old single shot 410 I used. I’m pretty sure TX never had a restriction on them, but back in those days, I didn’t know any better. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had Model 11 20 ga with a modified barrel that I used to use for 🦌 in Missouri. It had no problems with slugs. I shot a couple of deer with it and they dropped where they stood.
I had single shot. 410 that I used slugs to hunt coyotes. I didn't take a shot over 30 yards with it. It did the job very well on those four legged pest.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I hope to get one with a slug this year. Will be using an old single shot but it seems like a fun idea. Also thinking about the blackhawk
The very first "rifle" deer I ever killed was with a 16ga slug. That was with my grandpa's Stevens 16ga pump with a 26" fixed choke, improved cylinder barrel with a bead sight. I bought the slugs from a pawn shop, they were custom loads in paper shells if I remember correctly. I shot a doe that had buttons at 96 yards, shooting free handed from on top of a hill down to the bottom. I held over her vitals and hit her at the base of the neck right in the spine. It dropped her in her tracks, she was paralyzed but not dead. I cut her throat bc I didn't want to shoot her again at point blank with a slug. That was way back in high school. I'll remember that forever.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The very first "rifle" deer I ever killed was with a 16ga slug. That was with my grandpa's Stevens 16ga pump with a 26" fixed choke, improved cylinder barrel with a bead sight. I bought the slugs from a pawn shop, they were custom loads in paper shells if I remember correctly. I shot a doe that had buttons at 96 yards, shooting free handed from on top of a hill down to the bottom. I held over her vitals and hit her at the base of the neck right in the spine. It dropped her in her tracks, she was paralyzed but not dead. I cut her throat bc I didn't want to shoot her again at point blank with a slug. That was way back in high school. I'll remember that forever.
Shoot yeah that’s what it’s all about making memories. Think a mod choke will be alright?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shoot yeah that’s what it’s all about making memories. Think a mod choke will be alright?
I wouldn't go with anything tighter than a modified with a fixed barrel and IC or Cylinder choke with a choke tube. I tested my new IC and Cylinder choke tubes and I'm going to used the Cylinder tube it gave me best results with my 3in slugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts