Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are y'all planning for this weekend?

I gotta work part of it but I'll certainly blow a few things up when I'm not working. May we a line as well.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I wanted to catch a bunch of catfish this week on my trotline, but no matter what bait I've used, I can't get a bite. I was sure wanting to put on a fish fry. Oh well, all of the lake reports say catfishing is poor statewide. Tried them shallow an deep.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well -Thank God they have a burn ban up & through the 4th for Comanche County.
It's as dry around here as a popcorn fart.
Not much left to burn up, but we don't want to see another fire for a long time.

I got to work all weekend, just like always till I go full time around here.
Can't complain about 3 days off every week. ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to catch a bunch of catfish this week on my trotline, but no matter what bait I've used, I can't get a bite. I was sure wanting to put on a fish fry. Oh well, all of the lake reports say catfishing is poor statewide. Tried them shallow an deep.
Try the garlic hotdogs. I posted how to make them. Worked for me really well so far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I plan on spending the 4th getting everything packed and ready to go see my new grandson in Alaska..going to spend a couple of weeks getting acquainted with him, cooling off and trying to catch a fish..I very much look forward to it..

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sasakwa~ Your going to love Alaska.
You will not want to return home till after Mid September.
Have a awesome trip.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Try the garlic hotdogs. I posted how to make them. Worked for me really well so far.
I've done the garlic weenies, cut white perch, cut and live shad, live baby carp and drum. Had the line in 3-6ft of water, moved it to 6-15' of water and still no fish. I'm going to move it to 10-25' tonight and see what happens. The turtles keep stripping all the bait off. I didn't know they could go that deep, but I guess they can.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have a awesome trip.
Thanks Gauge, I really look forward to the trip. I'll be there for 14 days and a couple of different guys my son works with have fishing boats and both are planning a trip. I got an e-mail from another one of his friends that live at the location where a fresh water creek flows into the salt water..He says the pinks are schooling up at this time and I'm welcome to fish all I want from his back yard..The best thing about the trip, other than my new grandson is the fact that yesterday the high of the day was 62..now that's something to get excited about!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Sasakwa, I'll second the motion that you're gonna love Alaska! Say hi to Sarah while you're there.

Me, I'm gonna keep the maragretias made and in the shade!

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be 3 years this month sense may last trip to Alaska fishing. What a blast we had. I'd love to go back.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bird, I would love to say hit to Sarah for you. I don't care if she can see Russia or not from her house..She is still attractive for any age much less her age..Side note: I was talking to my son today while it was 103 in Morrison and it was 51 at his house..NOW......enough about the weather and back to Sarah..

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You got to love the weather then ya can move on to Sarah.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Our weather is as hot as Sarah!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have a awesome trip.
You're right Gauge, I didn't want to come home. We were in Alaska for 15 days and the temps ranged from the upper 40's and 50's at night and the highest we seen during the day was 66. Never rained except at night. We were out fishing or just messing around several days and never got wet..Anyway, my son had a little 16 foot skif with a 30 horse motor..Neither one of us knew anything about fishing up there so we just winged it. Fished like we were in Oklahoma except the water was a lot deeper...Never went out without catching more fish then we had a need for . We shared with his neighbors and friends and I still brought back 80 pounds of Halibut. We caught Halibut, Lingcod (great fish), pacific cod (greater fish),several types of rock fish, silver salmon, and one shark about 3 foot long. I think what even made it better was doing everything ourselves. Even though we didn't have a clue what to do, we just did it. No charters or guides, no big expensive rigs or anything. The first fish we caught was the best fish we caught and it was a 78 pound halibut. Several of the halibut ran around 30 to 40 pounds with some in the twenties. Also caught more dungeoness crabs then we could ever use. Very tasty and lots of meat. First 3 crabs we cooked made over a quart of pure white meat..Made wonderful crab cakes and also crab dip. Bottom line is Your were right about the Alaska experience...Sasakwa

·
Registered
541 Posts

This is the first fish we caught. Like I said, all we had was some rigs with 30 and 35 pound test line. Nothing fancy but we had a wonderful Father and Son time...

·
Registered
541 Posts

This is the same fish, just minus the blood. The blood was from a couple of blows to his head to stop all the floping in the boat..

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Lots of good eating there! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you had a blast. I loved being up in Alaska. If TX was in Alaska I'd have no issues getting my wife to go. I can't wait for the day I get to go back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts