Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got a pic before leaving. The buttstock has the same pattern as a Rem 1100.
I rebuilt it to look nice, not to sell realizing the stock wasn’t from that period but I liked it and that’s what mattered.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
I know its off topic but someday I'll have a Rem 1100 in my safe. Sounds cheesy but I've loved that gun for over 20 years.

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I know its off topic but someday I'll have a Rem 1100 in my safe. Sounds cheesy but I've loved that gun for over 20 years.
I’ve got two 1100’s and 3 barrels.
One is a light 20 with the true 20 ga receiver I bought in the early 2000’s.
Old guy had it for sale. It was unfired with the TG&Y price tags still on it.
Said he bought it new in 1970 for a quail hunt, fell and permanently damaged his hip so it never made it out of the closet except for an annual oiling.
Looked at me real gruff, said he knew what it was worth so don’t even think about trying to offer lower than I asking. He was tired of people doing that.
Thinking I was about to hear some insane price, asked him what he needed out of it.
$400.00 and not a dime less!
Couldn’t get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
12 ga came from a guy at work that needed rent money in the 80’s. Killed a lot of birds with that shotgun. Bought an improved barrel when my son wanted to start deer hunting with slugs, so he’s killed a few deer with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
I’ve got two 1100’s and 3 barrels.
One is a light 20 with the true 20 ga receiver I bought in the early 2000’s.
Old guy had it for sale. It was unfired with the TG&Y price tags still on it.
Said he bought it new in 1970 for a quail hunt, fell and permanently damaged his hip so it never made it out of the closet except for an annual oiling.
Looked at me real gruff, said he knew what it was worth so don’t even think about trying to offer lower than I asking. He was tired of people doing that.
Thinking I was about to hear some insane price, asked him what he needed out of it.
$400.00 and not a dime less!
Couldn’t get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
12 ga came from a guy at work that needed rent money in the 80’s. Killed a lot of birds with that shotgun. Bought an improved barrel when my son wanted to start deer hunting with slugs, so he’s killed a few deer with it.
$400 and a yes Sir thank you sir!!!

• Haha
Reactions: dennishoddy

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
$400 and a yes Sir thank you sir!!!
Hell, I wanted to hug the guy but he was so gumpy I was afraid he would take offense!
Many a young shooter has used that light 20 to open dove season.
To be honest, $400 was about what they went for in the 2000's with lots of field use. New in the Box was the find.

More to the story of the 12 ga model since I'm not on the phone and easier to type.
It came with a vent rib full choke that did not have threaded chokes that could be changed.
The barrel I bought later was IC that I used for everything. One day when son was using it for deer hunting, we didn't see anything in the morning and went pheasant hunting in the late morning and afternoon.
When a rooster flew up, he shot and I heard a "whang" not a boom.
We both stood there and looked at each other as we knew something was wrong.
Didn't take long to spot the end of his barrel looked like an explosion happened inside. The muzzle was splintered.
Long story short, he stumbled going into his deer stand, stuck the barrel in the mud and wiped the outside, not checking the bore.
We had a huge, long discussion about that as he knew better and had been taught better. (he was 13 yrs old.) He got to sit in the truck to think about what happened and what might happen to him while I finished walking out the field.
Getting back to the truck, he was pretty nervous. I knew the time spent was really weighing on his mind. We talked a bit more and used that as a teaching moment and not a punishment.
Took the gun to a Smith that chopped and recrowned it to 19 1/8" long. It's what I call my covey gun now with cylinder bore. When the covey rises just pull the trigger, something is gonna fall.
(I actually don't do that, but it's a good story)
It is a good upland barrel though at close range if hunting in close quarters for quail in wooded areas and did use it once with great success in Michigan for grouse and woodcock that are woodland birds.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts