Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday evening my son called me and said he had shot a doe at his grand parents house. I asked if it was down and he said it ran off. He found bolt and blood. He said it was last seen running to back of the 10 acres. Hmmm. Should have died long before it got that far. I told him to follow the blood and I was on way. While driving there he never called to say he found her, so I called him and asked if he had found her yet. He said no. I asked if he videoed the shot and he said yes. I said watch it in slow mode and see where you hit her. Well he did and he made a horrible shot. Wayyy far back. That’s not like my son at all. And we shot my crossbow before he left my house and it was on. Plus, this was maybe a 15 yard shot. So I knew something was up. When I got there it was dark. We found the blood trail, very dark blood. Followed it for a good bit, found a cool shed, followed a bit more. I told him she was still alive and I marked last blood with the shed. I told him we would come back In morning with a dog. I knew it was gonna be in the high 30’s early 40’s so she would be fine. Next morning we were back with my buddy and his dog, a yellow lab. Put Laya on the blood trail and off she went. I was looking and found another shed. After probably 30 mins I heard my buddy holler. Laya had found the doe. She was not rigored up so we believe she died in the last hour or so. This was Layas first official find that we had no idea where the deer went. She had found a couple of others, but we basically knew where they were. But she was training on those. I decided we were not going to gut her because of gut shot. We hung her up and quartered her and left all that nastiness inside her. After we got done I looked at my crossbow. The serving had come unwound big time. I’m sure that’s what threw off the shot. I already have new strings,cables and new cocking sled ordered to get it back in shape for next year. Just glad it all worked out and we found his first archery kill.

Attachments

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We trained her with a bloody hide. Drag it all over a grassy field and make distances longer and longer. Then bring her out and put her on the trail. When she finds it. She gets a treat. When she found the doe , she got a front leg to naw on

Attachments

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Congrats to your boy. Bummer on the bow and the bad shot but y’all found her and and that’s what matters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts