Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then.... So this morning Joshua my dad and myself make our way to the DB (thanks bighink) that I bought a few weeks ago off the classifieds. We get settled in and let the morning chorus begin about 5 min after daylight my dad looks out his side and says I think there are some birds in the draw. Sure enough 4 strutters I tell Joshua to get ready. Well about 9 hens and 4 jakes make there way in front of us and the bull jake is strutting his stuff. The swinger is in the back so I tell him to hold off. YEA RIGHT!!! he is 7 and that jake is strutting 20yds from the blind so I tell him let it rip. Well the excitement of all this caused him to pull the shot and miss. I start getting a rash of it (perfect he is gonna be just like his old man lol) Well he says I'm hungry so we pack it in and go eat after all its youth season and its all about him. After a well needed nap we get back in the double bull only dad had to head back home. It blowing about 100mph out there I think but I hear a faint gobble so I look behind us and there is a couple hens and a double bearded tom 15 feet not yards FEET from the blind! So we play musical chairs and close up one side open the other and they hit the cedar tree on the other side of the blind. Back to plan A only now there is another tom out in front so we do all this hoping to not blow him out. I get him all settled and am thinking do I want him to shoot a double beard for his first? Well that other tom settled that for me and that big boy went to fight well I got to looking at the hens since they are only 8 feet from the blind. Holy smokes that ones got a beard! I tell Joshua to get his gun up and shoot that hen with the beard. He says but dad thats a girl turkey and you can't do that. I say yes you can its any bearded turkey and thats very rare so lets kill her. Ok he says and I hear the click of the safety and the next thing I know is there is a headless bearded hen on the ground! About a 7" beard at that. Will get pics of the beard up in a few but for now here is a pic of him and the hen.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Very nice intro to tukey hunting. Be sure to tell him Congrads from all of us!!!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together! Congrats to your son!
Most turkey hunters have never seen, nor taken a bearded hen, so he is in an elite group ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Congrats to the lil pup!!!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis I was telling him this and his words were so its going in the newspaper and Im gonna be famous right.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Cool deal,mason. Congrates to your son on his first turkey bird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts