Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,i.m a new member,has anyone tried snagging below Twin Bridges at Grand recently?

I try to get some snagging in during spring break in March every year.

here's a photo of some we snagged last year.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Great catch! ;D ;D
We snag on the Salt Fork River on private ground. Last season I got this one, and the next broke my rod.
Its like fishing in the ocean and catching tuna or other big fish. Two or three, and I'm ready to stop and take a long break :eek: ;D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to meet you Dennis.

Where is Salt Fork River located? So far I been lucky when it comes to breaking rod's snagging for spoons,over the years I have only lost 1 rod,think I broke it on a underwater log or rock.

Speaking of ocean fishing,i,m trying to talk my wife into going to Texas this summer and doing some saltwater fishing from the Piers.

Heres a photo of some spoons my son and his friend snagged during spring break,they had a blast!!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I want one of those bad.
Never been spoonbill fishing but hear its a blast.

Congrates to y'all on them fine fish.

Do they taste anything like Salmon?
Heard they did.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gauge,I wish they tasted like Salmon..lol I cook mine on the bbq grill with butter and lemon juice added for flavor,the meat looks alot like chicken breast and taste like chicken after it's cooked on the grill. They are ok deep fried also,I just prefer cooking them on the grill.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
the Salt Fork River is in NC Okla. Its the drainage from the Great Salt Pains NWR in Nw Ok.
It merges with the Chiskakia River in Kay county and drains into the Arkansas River South of Ponca City.

Theydo not have a bone in their bodies, and when you fillet them, you can take the guts and put them in your two hands. They only eat plankton.
One has to be ruthless in cutting the fat from the meat. If not it will taste REALLY fishy.

This is my experience.
Is this the same with you luvslabfishin?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I'm still down to go catch one someday & grup some down.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the Salt Fork River is in NC Okla. Its the drainage from the Great Salt Pains NWR in Nw Ok.
It merges with the Chiskakia River in Kay county and drains into the Arkansas River South of Ponca City.

Theydo not have a bone in their bodies, and when you fillet them, you can take the guts and put them in your two hands. They only eat plankton.
One has to be ruthless in cutting the fat from the meat. If not it will taste REALLY fishy.

This is my experience.
Is this the same with you luvslabfishin?
[/quot

Yes Dennis..lol its time consuming to me trying to seperate the fatty meat from the lean meat,but it,s well worth the trouble after biting into a grilled piece of spoonbill.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I've never grilled one, and always catch and release, but I may have to keep one this year, and try it on the grill.
Just got my ODW email. Looks like lots of changes coming up for spoonbill fishing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes,alot of changes on spoonbill fishing,theres even certain days were not allowed to snag,think its Monday and Friday, from what I seen,the regulations stayed the same at Twin Bridges,except for the days not allowed to snag I just mentioned. You can bet ,the Wardens will be out in full force making sure the new regulations are strictly enforced,will pay for a snagger to go over the new regulations just to make sure they are following the law,some places are no longer open for snagging,think they are on Fort Gibson and Lake Hudson areas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Luvslabs, don't worry you can still fish for them on Monday and Friday you just can't keep them on those days. I really enjoy catching them as well, I try to make 2 or 3 trips up that way every year.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Aint they also called paddle fish?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Yes. They go by both names.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
I live here in Miami and have never caught one...went once...in the rain. I can recall a guy from Missouri getting killed by a weight from a snapped line from across the river. He got hit in the head and died on his way home from an aneurysm caused by the impact of the weight. I've been a little 'gun shy' of going down to the park where the spoonbill stack up beneath the low water dam and fishing for them ever since. Worse than any public land hunting in my opinion...kind of like standing behind the target at a rifle range to me. I'd love to find a good isolated place to fish for them though.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Around here we use 8 oz weights. I'm suprised it didn't kill him instantly.
Never have been to that area.
Below Kaw where they snag a lot.(state record taken below Kaw) Its really wide. You'd never hit anybody on the other side.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i went with buddies this weekend for first time...i hooked a few but never got em in they caught some over the 60 pound mark. we were fishing on the saltfork also dennis west side of 177 on some of kelly's family land where those rock dikes are. i got a big rod to fish with while back but need a real now not sure where to get one tho...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bass Pro has some nice saltwater reels for sale,found one I like for $70.00.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i bet they do lol...being college kid i think ill keep borrowing till next year...i got a brand new 12 foot rod for free from my ole mans buddy...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whats sad is the $70.00 reel was one of the cheap ones Bass Pro had for sale..lol

A guy had new surf rods for sale on Craiglist last week..10',8',and a 12' and two reels for $25.oo a piece.

He wanted $20.oo a piece also the surf rods, I came close to buying the two 10' rod's and one of the reels ,but I backed out at the last minute.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts