Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got all the winter plots sprayed and ready to work. Seed is setting in the barn. Just need some warm weather. Trying some different stuff this year. Planting buckwheat in a couple for weed suppression. Doing several plots and travel areas in Egyptian wheat to add some spots where they can hang out and feel more secure. Also hides them from the neighbors that like to watch the plots from over the fence. Going to plant some Lab Lab for the first time as well. Cant wait to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Going to follow along on this thread given our plots are starting up too. We're moving towards a throw and mow to reduce amount of weed killer/spraying and disc ground.
Doing 2 different approaches on our plots(8 acres total). 2-3 acres will be planted with a Sweet 16 mix over the top of our Fall blend. I sprayed it last week with nutrients/fertilizer to kick start the clover and what's left from last year in addition to preparing for Sweet 16. I'm planting it sometime in May.
The rest of our plots were not planted last year but will be buckwheat first as you're doing for weed suppression. Plant it in late May with expectation it'll be ready to go to seed in 10-12 weeks. Plans will be to throw clover into the standing buckwheat BEFORE it goes to seed then crimp/cultipack it down. May add in something else with clover on some plants for a variety and to learn what grows best in our soil. Chicory, winter wheat, rye or oats.

Do you plan on anything other than Lab Lab after the buckwheat matures?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lab lab is planted near bed rooms in some plots designed to keep them close all summer. I also inoculate the lab lab to build nitrogen for fall plantings. I always plant the fall mix from Ross every fall. It has never let us down and the deer can't stay off of it long enough to let it grow sometimes. I usually add extra radish, turnip and white flowering winter peas like whistler to the mix. The mix comes with austrian. I also mix my own mineral/salt mixes as well. Get the majority of my big buck pics off the mineral sites.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well rain is on the way Friday along with some warmer temps. Gonna take the day of tomorrow and start getting some seed in the dirt. May be jumping the gun but the 14 day outlook has me thinking we are through with the colder temps.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Yep, 80’s next week. I need two new batteries for the tractor this year as well as some cables.
River place is going out of wheat production this year so going to try a mix of dove plot and deer plot plantings.
An interesting mix I was told is the common bird seed mix sold in 40 lb bags at tractor supply.
Add some additional corn, wheat and milo to it and drill it in blocking off every other port for wider spacing.
Might work, might not but you never know until you try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts