Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely hate squirrels. Have I mentioned to anyone about my dislike of squirrels? Wearing a black hoodie, sitting in the very back of a big ground blind and I barely move my hand to get a mosquito of my ear and the whole damn woods is a barking squirrel festival which puts the big boss doe on alert. As usual she has to come investigate what they are barking at.................................GAME OVER.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If they ever make a good practical laser shooter, I want one for squirrels. I've had to declare bankruptcy because of all the arrows I've shot at the damn critters.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
.22 sub sonic with a suppressor. Game, set and stew meat.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just back from a nice little gun store in Winfield Kansas and was visiting with the guys that own it about the squirrels. One of them literally lives in tree stands from now until the end of December and has 5 Booners on the wall to prove it. He told me about his secret weapon for squirrels and even gave me an older one that he had in the back of the shop. ImageUploadedByOutdoor Forums1508446188.905513.jpg He said to set it up under the canopy so that crows can't spot it because that's a whole new set of problems when they start dive bombing the owl. Also not to ever leave it in the same spot. Just put it in your blind when you leave and reposition it on the next hunt. We'll see if he is jerking my chain for a good laugh or it works, taking my girls out for youth season starting tomorrow. WWHHOOOOO knows?

·
Administrator
13,740 Posts
I have one of those owl decoys for crow.
We don't have squirrels where I hunt, so not affected by them. ***** are another story.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have lots of the Burr Oak, White and Shumard Oaks on Beaver Creek. Load up with acorns this year. I can't remember seeing this many squirrels. I tried to count what I could see from blind this morning, but they were so busy gathering acorns it was impossible. I did see what looked to be a juvenile squirrel watching where others were stashing the acorns and as soon as they would leave to find more this little one would go rob the stash. Still don't like the big nutted vermin.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had the opposite experience with squirrels opening weekend. I hung my stand in the "kitchen" so to speak: oaks, pecans, persimmons. There was a creek crossing with high johnson grass to my left and a ridge saddle to my right. The deer bed in either place: across the creek or down the draw, and can come to me from either direction. I couldn't rightly keep my eyes looking in either direction all the time, so that's where the squirrels came in. I saw deer every day I was in that tree and before any of the deer ever came into bow range, and before I could see them, the squirrels would start barking their heads off. I had plenty of time to turn around, grab my bow, and then the deer came strolling in like clockwork. It was almost like having my own security perimeter, it was kind of neat how it worked. They never barked at me once, but barked at every deer, every time they walked in this patch of woods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also very wary of squirrels. If they don't hurt me and my dog, I love them. There are many cases when my dog was attacked by squirrels. My neighbor had a case where a squirrel attacked his dog, scratched him until he bled. Also, these nasty squirrels constantly spoil my flowers in my garden. They have a habit of coming into my shed and making a mess of it. Good company https://tulsa.aaacwildliferemoval.com/squirrel-removal got rid of the annoying squirrels. I haven't seen them since, and if they do, I have a great solution.

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
I'm also very wary of squirrels. If they don't harm me and my dog, then I love them. There are many cases where squirrels have attacked my dog.
Welcome to OKH. We’re a squirrel free forum. We even have signs posted at the entrance. You and your dog are safe here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts