Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been taking my nephew squirrel hunting at Lexington wma and there just doesn't seem to be a very good number a rats there. does anybody know if any of the other wma has better numbers? been 5 times and only seen 3 squirrels.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Might try James Collins, lot's of big timber there. Haven't been down there in a while so can't give up to the minute squirrel reports.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Do you have the grey or red squirrels in your area?
Pretty much all reds in the NC part of the state.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
All reds around the central part. Greys are a bit east of here (Shawnee) by 40 or 50 miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
The campus at Rose State is loaded with tree rats. Best report I can give lol.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have grays at my house in Okemah, but I've also seen them in McLoud. I would not believe it if I hadn't seen them myself. They're moving farther west for some reason.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Okmulgee should be a good bet. Might try the souther part as it had a big wild fire there last year and the under brush is all burnt out. The parking is up on the hill, just before you go up it, to the right is a walk in gate, go up the hill and south on the road at the top. Follow it south and east to the big creek. Should be tons of squirrels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okmulgee should be a good bet. Might try the souther part as it had a big wild fire there last year and the under brush is all burnt out. The parking is up on the hill, just before you go up it, to the right is a walk in gate, go up the hill and south on the road at the top. Follow it south and east to the big creek. Should be tons of squirrels.
what entrance do I go in? we went only seen one rat! .we went in right by like a maintenance office or something and just drove back till we found a decent looking spot. gonna go back Saturday to try again or may go over to cherokee I read somewhere it is good but I have never been there. any info on either place would really help a lot.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The main entrance is right by the dam of Okmulgee lake. When you turn into the WMA, there is a walk in gate ,just before you cross the cattle guard, on the east (right) side of the road. Walk that road to the top of the hill to a road running north & south, I'd follow it south and down the the bottom. A looooong ways around the fire break road you'll finally hit a thick creek bottom with big trees. It's a long walk but should be some squirrels almost the entire way.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I know that when I was hunting Grady County WMA last fall I seen a good bunch of tree rats.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Of course where the nuts are will be where the squirrels are!

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Kind of like the "nut" behind the wheel?

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
So if I'm being called a nut can I at least choose what kinda nut I am? I'm thinking Macadamia.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went back to okmulgee today. got rained on all day. but the squirrels were really active! seen I don't know how many. but only got one. I found out its hard to shoot in the rain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts