Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here recently I been seeing alot of squirrel's run over around the neighborhood,this is a good sign there might be a bumper crop of squirrels to hunt this year,I didn't get to go bushytail hunting last year,so I have some making up to do when squirrel season starts this year.

We got lucky and shot these squirrels on Keystone P.H.A. several years back.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
What species of squirrel is you son holding?
Reason,I ask.
I use to hunt Grey squirrels a lot back in CA & have shot a lot of the squirrels your son is holding up.
Everyone,I have asked has told me their tree squirrels...That just piss me off when,I get that for an answer.

Thanks for answer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These in the photo are all eastern fox squirrels,we have the eastern grey squirrels also ,but the majority of them are found in Eastern Ok and are smaller then the fox squirrels.

Glad to be able to help you out Gauge :)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Thanks,
luvslabfishin
Know,I now what species they are.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
We call em red squirrels around NC Ok. I haven't shot any in awhile, but back in the day my Grandma required me to give her three or four a year. She ate the meat, but treasured the brains.
I never ate any of the brains, as It kind of freaked me out, but lots of the old timers ate them.
Don't know how they cooked them either. I was just my Grandma's market hunter ;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
we cook em in a pressure cooker with some veggies in for a lil extra flavor for a lil while then we batter and fry them after that...when ever my grandma visits from the mountains of WV i get a few for her to cook for me :D

·
Vendor
171 Posts
These in the photo are all eastern fox squirrels,we have the eastern grey squirrels also ,but the majority of them are found in Eastern Ok and are smaller then the fox squirrels.

Glad to be able to help you out Gauge :)
Yep...fox squirrels, Gauge. They tend to occupy forest edges and more open forest areas than they greys do.

I love hunting squirrels, but hate cleaning them. I can skin a deer faster than I can skin even just a few of those things...pretty good eating though! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate cleaning squirrels also,I always found a way to leave loose hair on the meat after skinning the damn things.
I accidently came up with a easier way to skin them several years ago that leaves less lose hair on them.

Make a two inch incession across the back,and grap hold of the loose skin with a set of catfish, skinning plyers and pull down on each side instead of pulling with your fingers. The skin comes off alot easier.

My Father and Uncles was raised on Cane Creek near Boynton during the depression and they hunted squirrels with a single shot 22 rifle,they also saved the head for the brains to eat. :eek: :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts