Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to our good ole Oklahoma weather. Found this Pigmy Rattler sunning itself on the lease road. I wonder if they ever really hibernate with the hot winters we have. After his head was removed with a machete. His head was still biting the blade. He had 6 rattles. They buzz instead of rattle. Makes me wonder how many times Ive been near one and missed the sound. Sounded more like an annoying bee or wasp.

·
Registered
840 Posts
That's a massasauga, not a pygmy rattlesnake. Secondly, what exactly was the purpose of that? You went out of your way to kill it without intending to eat it, and it was posing you absolutely no threat whatsoever, especially since you were in it's habitat.

Plus the rattlesnake season is from Mar 1 to Jun 30.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree with okherp. It was not of any harm to you. Next time just back away and walk around it. 9 time out 10 they will not strike if you don't provoke it. You envaded its enviroment and you should just left it alone.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
For y'all that are involved in this thread.
Don't let it get out of hand!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I apologize if my post sounded negative. I have been having a really rough week. My niece was killed in a car wreck on Monday, and I have been sleep deprived and on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster (I know that is no excuse).

But also, as a herpetologist and avid outdoorsman, I also recognize the importance of proper management of natural resources, including wildlife. Not only was the snake (which is a game species) taken illegally out of proper season, but it seems rather wasteful to kill any animal that is not considered a varmit, predator, or otherwise a nuisance species. It was minding it's own business in it's own habitat, and was killed for no other reason than fear or lack of respect.

Again, my apologies for the apparent disposition of my previous post and I hope there are no hard feelings.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okherp, My niece was killed in a car wreck also on Monday.Where was your niece killed at? My niece died at I-40 and 99 exit.She was just 24 years old and going to get married next spring.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Man! I feel bad for both of you. My condolences to you and your families.

·
Registered
840 Posts
ibokie, Leslie was engaged to my nephew, Scott. She has been a part of our family for about 6 years now, and was loved by everyone just as if she was born into the family. Will you be at the funeral tomorrow? We are going to the funeral home this evening for visitation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts