Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if you ever wanted to pay the money for a silencer and have it installed on your favorite hunting rifle well now you can. The state just passed a bill allowing silencers for big game hunting. Having a tuff time on my phone getting a link for the new law. Maybe a MOD can assist me or I'll do it once I get off of work and have my laptop.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the Final Week of Session, the Oklahoma LegislaturePassesLegislation to Legalize Suppressors While Hunting

Today, the Oklahoma House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly to legalize the use of suppressors while huntingthrough passage of Senate Bill 1743by a 78 to 3 vote. Last week, SB 1743 passed in thestate Senate by a 44 to 0vote. This bill now heads to Governor Mary Fallin for her considerationand approval.

Senate Bill 1743, also known as the “Landowner’s Hunting Freedom Act” was authored by state Senator Steve Russell (R-45) and state Representative Leslie Osborn (R-47). If enacted, this legislation would allow Oklahoma landowners and their guests to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting. This legislation is particularly important as noise complaints are being used more frequently as an excuse to close shooting ranges, informal shooting areas, and hunting lands throughout the country.

Increased use of suppressors will help eliminate many of these complaints and protect hunting and shooting areas well into the future.Most importantly, it will help protect hunters hearing.For more information on firearms and suppressors, click here.

Last week, Governor Fallin signed into lawSenate Bill 1760(Emergency Powers) andSenate Bill 1733 (Open Carry omnibus). Please contact Governor Fallin to thank her for her strong support of firearm freedoms and ask for her signatureonSenate Bill 1743, the “Landowner’s Hunting Freedom Act.”

Contact informationfor Governor Fallincan be found here.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw on another forum that the Gov said she would sign it if it made it to her desk.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Its time we get on board with all of the other states that allow supressed weapons for hunting.
For those interested, they are not silencers, but supressors. Forget everything you've ever seen on TV.
A shot from a full power 30-06 has the muzzle blast reduced but its still high enough to require hearing protection. There is also the sonic crack as the supersonic bullet breaks the sound barrier along its path. It is significantly quieter, and as most hunters don't wear hearing protection while hunting, it will help.
Where it really shines is in pistol rounds, and small bore rifles like the .5.56/.223.
I shot a Browning Buck Mark .22 pistol at a demo. It used full power rounds, and was so quiet that you could hear the mechanical sounds as the slide worked back and forth.
I'll likely be getting some for a couple of rifles, as funds come available.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
And if you do some shopping around you can get a .22 can for around $150 + the $200 tax stamp. 5.56 or larger is going to be the stamp cost and $700+. I'd love to have one for .22 as I shoot a lot of it around the house and it'd be nice not to have to wear ear plugs to shoot turtles and steel plates. No way I could justify darn near a grand to silence my AR's. But, it'd be a hoot! And so would IR scopes and NVG and ....

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dennis I'm shocked you don't have a dozen already.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Im getting a .308 can so I can use it on my M1A, my 6.8 AR, and my SIG 556.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Dennis I'm shocked you don't have a dozen already.
I've shot quite a few suppressed pistols, no rifles.
I'm not ruling out getting one or two, but they aren't on the top of my priority list.
There is a little suppressor for a shotgun I'd be more interested in than anything.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Im getting a .308 can so I can use it on my M1A, my 6.8 AR, and my SIG 556.
Smoke, didn't know you had a 6.8. Just built one and like the heck out it so far. What do you have as far as the upper, mags and what ammo are you liking so far?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I have a Stag Arms, 20" barrel. I have been shooting Silver State Armory 110 gr. Pro Hunter. I have a Holosight and Eotech 3x magnifier on it. My son has shot 3 deer with it the past 2 seasons. He loves it.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Have some of the SSA 110's and Hornady's V-max 110's and planning on loading some light 85-90grn and see what my use to be .270 130-140 grn bullets will do out of a 16.5 CMMG piston upper. Going to order some of the Stoner AR mags from Midway to go along with the weak moment buy of a $44 PRI mag.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Hope they are still in stock, sez Discontinued by Manufacturer. The Stoner mags Midway has are supposedly built by C Products and will let you build your reloads to 2.3ish, longer than other companies mags.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Stoners are on sale for $12.99. Gonna get some

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Have two 25rnd mags coming from Mr Potterfield and have 2-5rnd mags coming from the Tinker BX for about $15per mag. So far the BX has the best ammo prices in town by a couple of bucks and then no sales tax.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Hornady V-max & Silver State Pro Hunters, both in 110grn. So far I've only shot the Hornadys and rifle seems to digest them just fine. Need to put a few of the SSA downrange to see if it likes them. Those may well be my deer load.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I love lay away. Almost have mine paid for. Dang the wait now :'( Got it at Sooner State Pawn at SW59/S. Western, just West . They have some really nice guns too.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I don't live in OKC, but Sooner State pawn has a really good reputation.
I called them several months ago while seaching for a M&P pro 5" to use in USPSA. They didn't have one, but put me on a list when one comes in. Finally found one at BudsGuns.com, and called them back to let them know I'd found one. Took them about 20 seconds to find my request, and get me out of their system. Great customer service in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I couldn't believe they let me layaway a suppressor. I just jokingly asked if I could and they said yes. So I jumped at the chance. Only way I could afford it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts