Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.teludynetech.com/

Anyone here of this. Of course the website and gun mag articles are all aglow about it.
Sounds pretty cool and not that expensive compaired to a new barrel. I'd like to get a 30 Remington AR upper and have the barrel done.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I have looked at this site since you posted it for an hour or so.
I'm really into long range accuracy, and am always willing to learn.
What I'm seeing is that he is using a polymer or something to equalize the heat on the barrel to make it absorb heat evenly and dampen the harmonic vibrations that are unique to each barrel. From what I can see, that is a good concept for a target shooter.
I also noticed that all of the testomonials were really legally correct in noting the trade mark, etc.

For a hunter, the first cold bore shot is what counts.
I never attempt to shoot groups as that is not what a hunter needs to be concerned about.
Going to the range, I'll take several guns to shoot. Each is one shot on the target, allowing the barrel to cool to ambient temperature before taking another shot.
Snipers in the military know this, but I didn't until a couple of years ago.

I purchased a high end AR from a web site that guarented sub MOA from that platform. Groups at 100yds, were in the 4" area.
Come to find out later after many back and forth sending the gun to him that I had got one with a different twist than I ordered.
He refused to make it good.
I bought it as a varmint gun to shoot light bullets at high velocity, but now I have a really accurate AR for deer.

Beware of the internet hype.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis, I know that the testimonials on their web site are all going to be glorious renditions of magic. ;D ;D
Been trying to see if anyone not on their site had any stories to tell. Since it is possible to get a good gun/ammo combination it's not a absolute gotta have, unless I can find out if it does really work. Then it'd be nice to be able to just about pick any ammo and shoot it well. The old Ruger M77 .270 might get workover and like I said I'd like to get an AR upper in 30 Rem.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
That .30AR is an interesting round. Basicaly identical to the .308 in a short action. I keep coming back to it when the itch for a new upper starts.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting a real itch to have a 30 Rem. I might have found a new gun store near Edmond that so far has some really good prices on AR stuff. Cold Hand Arms, coldhandarms.com , has a complete AR kit for $499. Going to check on there upper prices in a day or so. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
I actually just read an article in Guns mag today about the Rem 30.
Saw the group they posted using the lighter bullets. 125 grain? It was really tight. Much less than 1 MOA at around 2800fps.
The heavier bullets didn't print as well, but were still in the 1" area.
My only concern is availability of ammo. I've never seen any on the shelf, but since I reload, its not a biggie for me.
My other AR is in the .243WSSM. I don't see that WSSM line of bullets going any where in the future, for whatever reason, so, a thousand rounds of empty brass will keep me in ammo until my kids inherit it.

Just a side note,(as I'm sure you already know) back in the accuracy department of all centerfire rifles from the 30's up to the late 90's, it took many hours of reloading or trying different loads to get within the 1" magic circle.
Its amazing now, that off the shelf guns routinely get that accuracy and better, with factory ammo.
Back in the day it was old conventional machine tools and the skills of the machinist that made good barrels.
Today with the modern CNC machines that can hold tolerances to .0001 on a routine basis, we are getting some really accurate off the shelf guns.

The guy that puts on our IPSC pistol shoots at the range, gave me a business card of the cold hand arms shop. He said he was pretty impressed.
There is a guy in Moore that deals almost exclusivly in Ar type of guns. Marks Firearms. If you havent heard of him, let me know and I'll get you his addy and phone number.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that CNC stuff has made almost everything it makes "custom" made, from guns to engines. You're getting products that use to cost an arm & a leg to get that kind of quality.

I'd think reloading for the 30 Rem would be a joy. All the .308 bullets out there to choose from, the hardest part would be choosing which one. Gauge and I were talkin about it today and most of the articles say that it's a 300yrd round. That's about my extreem hunting shot range anyways and most all my shots are well under that range.

I'm familliar with Mark's, I won a AR mag on one of his giveaways on the other site. Need to check out his price on an upper. Gotta try to see if I can get a military discount at any of the shops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts